• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

your message is still queued at the Internet Mail Service

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> your message is still queued at the Internet Mail Service Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
your message is still queued at the Internet Mail Service - 21.Mar.2007 7:27:16 PM   
hmbtx

I am running Windows NT 4.0 sp6a and Exchange 5.5

A user has just received the following message:

Your message

To: jdoe@myydomain.com,
Subject: RE: Certificate of Insurance
Sent: 3/21/07 10:27:02 AM

is still queued at the Internet Mail Service (Server01). This message will continue to be retried until the configured maximum timeout period,and if delivery cannot be completed by then, your message will be returned to you.

Can anyone tell me what may be causing this and is there something I should be doing to prevent it from happening again. The server has about 55 users and the email usage is not very high. The outbound message queue awaiting delivery has about 10 emails waiting for delivery and they seem to be stuck.

Any help will be appreciated.

Howard
Post #: 1
RE: your message is still queued at the Internet Mail S... - 22.Mar.2007 4:15:49 AM   
zbnet

Do you use a smarthost for final delivery of the email, or does the IMS use DNS to deliver directly?

(in reply to hmbtx)
Post #: 2
RE: your message is still queued at the Internet Mail S... - 22.Mar.2007 10:41:57 AM   
hmbtx

The IMS uses DNS to deliver directly.

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 3
RE: your message is still queued at the Internet Mail S... - 22.Mar.2007 11:07:40 AM   
zbnet

I knew you'd answer that.  That's where to look...

(in reply to hmbtx)
Post #: 4
RE: your message is still queued at the Internet Mail S... - 22.Mar.2007 11:19:14 AM   
hmbtx

What do you mean by "That's where to look.."?

Additional information:

The detail of the emails in the outbound queue show either "network error during host resolution" or "host unreachable".

Does this refer to bad email addresses?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 5
RE: your message is still queued at the Internet Mail S... - 22.Mar.2007 11:30:11 AM   
keithd1229

I had this same problem on a similar set-up with exchange 5.5. I concluded that there was no fix for this problem. But there is a workaround.

The only way I found I could send mail to everyone was to relay all e-mail to another smtp server and use the new smtp server to send the mail instead of Exchange 5.5's message transfer agent.

I eventually migrated away from exchange 5.5 and no longer have the problem.

(in reply to hmbtx)
Post #: 6
RE: your message is still queued at the Internet Mail S... - 22.Mar.2007 11:38:31 AM   
zbnet

With no smarthost, your Exchange server is connected directly to thr Internet.  These messages are probably spam responses, or reverse NDR spam messages.

A DNS resolution (to IP address) is required for every domain of every outbound email.  It's probably not your fault that some of the outbound messages can't be queried successfully in DNS  - maybe their DNS records are wrong, missing an MX record or similar.  But if Exchange can't resolve the domain name, what's it to do?

(in reply to keithd1229)
Post #: 7
RE: your message is still queued at the Internet Mail S... - 10.Apr.2007 6:15:20 AM   
T_M_P

Yeah, you should look with nslookup for the MX record for the domain you are sending to..

Probably you will not be able to resolve it.

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 8
RE: your message is still queued at the Internet Mail S... - 10.Apr.2007 11:07:06 AM   
hmbtx

The problem turned out to be incorrect email addresses used as the 'send to' email address.

Thanks for everyone's input on this matter.

Howard

(in reply to T_M_P)
Post #: 9
RE: your message is still queued at the Internet Mail S... - 7.May2007 8:20:57 PM   
textguru

this is my current setup but my exchange 5.5 box is not directly connected to the internet. I use ISA Server on my front and configure as a SecureNAT client on exchange box.

(in reply to T_M_P)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> your message is still queued at the Internet Mail Service Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter