• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 3:35:18 PM   
intercore

OK We are standing by. We can help remotely via

1. ultraVNC
  2. terminal services
  3. PCAnywhere
  4. VNC

Scott Wiseman
Project Manager
Intercore Technologies, Inc.
Los Angeles, CA 90403
888-603-6333 ext 89
Exchange Migration Consultants

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 21
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 6:24:35 PM   
Trash

Well in going over everything and re-running ForestPrep and DomainPrep and running ADC tools I got this error message when running the Connection Agreement Wizard:

"Error: The organization LLC is already installed into this forest but the configured 5.5 server is a member of organization o=Company Name, LLC. Please choose a 5.5 server in the correct Org."

Which makes me think that the problem is having the unsupported character in the site name which was Company Name, LLC

I change the site description to Company Name LLC (no comma) before I started this whole process last week.

Is there a way to change the organization name in the AD or another work around?

(in reply to intercore)
Post #: 22
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 13.Apr.2007 9:25:50 AM   
Trash

What about using the LegacyDN.exe program to make the necessary changes?  I ran it in read only mode and this was the log output:

Info - All connections will be made with the following credentials CPS-na.com\administrator
Success - Bound to object; LDAP://colorado/rootDSE
Success - Bound to rootDSE
Success - Bound to object; LDAP://colorado/CN=Configuration,DC=CPS-na,DC=com
Info - Searching for objectCategory=msExchOrganizationContainer and requesting props distinguishedName.
Success - Bound to object; LDAP://colorado/CN=Electronic Company LLC,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=CPS-na,DC=com
Info - Searching for objectCategory=msExchAdminGroup and requesting props distinguishedName,legacyExchangeDN.
**** Found the following Exchange Admin Groups
DN = CN=CPSNA,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Company LLC,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=CPS-na,DC=com

Based on the above output which changes should I make if in fact this tool would help me?  Colorado is the DC with all the FSMO roles plus GC.  I have changed the real company name, but you can see it's abreviated sometimes and sometimes not. 

The CPSNA is the site description I changed from Company, LLC before I started the conversion.

Our domain name is CPS-na.com.

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 23
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 13.Apr.2007 6:01:16 PM   
Trash

So what do people think about using this LegacyDN.exe tool?  Seems like it's a work around.  Of course the literature says only use it in a test environment but that is effect what I have now since I havn't moved anything over to Exchange 2003 yet.

Does everyone agree that my problem is the mismatched site names from 5.5 to 2003?

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 24
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 16.Apr.2007 4:13:07 AM   
pjhutch

Yes, it does seem like a good possible solution, I would only try it on a couple of accounts first to see if the theory is correct and do plenty of testing before doing it full scale.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 25
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 17.Apr.2007 1:04:26 PM   
Trash

I've decided to hold off on using this LegacyDN tool.  I have not seen any case in my research where someone has use dthis tool to address the Illegal Character issue I had.

Should I uninstall Exchange 2003 form my server and remove it completely from AD and try to install again.

Should I set up Exchange 2003 in a new site and connect to 5.5?  Do I need to uninstall ForestPrep and DomainPrep to do this or can I leave those alone.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 26
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 18.Apr.2007 5:17:00 AM   
pjhutch

If you think that is best then yes you can create a new Organisation by uninstalling Exchange and use setup /removeorg to remove the existing Exchange 2003 organisation and start again. Yes, you will need to run forestprep and domainprep again.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 27
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 19.Apr.2007 1:54:40 PM   
Trash

Sorry was pulled into another project.

If I install into a new organization can I still attach to the existing 5.5 organization in some fashion?  Have them exist together? Or will I have to stop the old Exchange server then move all the mailboxes over to the new organization then "go live"?

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 28
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 20.Apr.2007 4:11:19 AM   
pjhutch

If migrating from 5.5 using ADC, then you will be joining an existing Exchange organisation which will pulled across into your Windows 2003 domain when you create the configuration connector in ADC.

If you want a new organisation, then you will have to use alternative methods such as creating a new Exchange organisation when you setup your first Exchange server. Then use Exmerge to move the mailboxes across, a bit more long winded but avoids moving any junk from an existing organisation.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 29
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 23.Apr.2007 12:47:54 PM   
Trash

Well I thought I would report that I tried to install Exchange as a new organization and got the same result.  MSExchangeSA service did not start and did not start over the weekend.  Which in a way was sort of good news.  Because I did not want to create a new organization.

This pointed to an issue with my domain setup and so as a test I tried installing Exchange 2003 on one of the new DCs running Advanced Server 2003.

Guess what? It installed!!!

Now I have no issues having Exchange running on a DC and will have two other DCs untimately.  Is there any issues having Exchange running on a DC that I'm not aware of?

I want to get going converting over to Exchange 2003 and getting rid of 5.5 now that I've spent so much time getting to this point. ; )

Thanks to everyone who has provided me with assistance.

< Message edited by Trash -- 23.Apr.2007 1:44:56 PM >

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 30
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 24.Apr.2007 6:34:39 PM   
Trash

Everthing installed and running with no errors in the Post Installation tests.

Copied over the mailbox of an ex employee with about 700 emails in her inbox.  Only took a few minutes.

But, when I went to a spare machine and tried to connect to this Mail box logged on as Administrator (Part of all relevant groups) using the new server name for the Exchange 2000 server it would underline the server name and user but when I would go to open up Outlook 2000 it would say it could not connect.

I could still connect to the mailbox using the old Exchange 5.5 server name.

How do I re-home mailboxes after moving them?

I did a quick search and did not bump into the solution.

Any ideas?

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 31
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 25.Apr.2007 4:47:26 AM   
pjhutch

Check mailbox rights, make sure the user account has 'Full Mailbox rights' in AD Users and Computers, Exchange Advanced, Mailbox Rights. A user cannot connect if they do not have appropiate rights to their mailbox.

To re-home, use Exchange tasks, Move Mailbox to move it back!

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 32
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 27.Apr.2007 2:17:11 PM   
de.blackman

the security level on exchange 5.5 was almost non-existent! In exchange 2000 and above any user (even administrator) will NOT be able to open another users' mailbox. So if you are logged on as the administrator and trying to open another person's mailbox, it will not work. Why not have the user log on and test opening outlook instead.

Also in exchange 2000 and above the concept of "rehoming" a mailbox or a public folder is gone! a mailbox is an attribute of a user account. so if you move a mailbox from serverA to serverB, the attribute called HomeMDB will automatically point to the new location of the mailbox.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 33
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 27.Apr.2007 5:22:51 PM   
Trash

Thanks again De!

That was the ticket.  I set up a spare workstation set up Oulook2000 to point to the migrated mailbox of the ex employee, logged in as her and was able to get in no problem.

Interestingly:

I could NOT send mail to the other internal mailboxes stil on the 5.5 server (Un-Moved) , but could receive email from mailboxes still on 5.5

Could send to recipients outside and 5.5 users could send email to this mailbox moved to 2003.  So it was just not able to send to the Un-Moved existing mailboxes.

I set up a dummy test account using the old method of setting it up the mailbox in Exchange 5.5 and was able to send to this mailbox from the moved mailbox.

I opened the settings for my un-moved mailbox reset the account it points to, went to AD Users and Computers and opened that to look through the settings.  after this was ble to send to this account.  Not sure which fixed the problem.

Thanks again!!!

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 34
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 27.Apr.2007 5:57:26 PM   
Trash

Well I don't know what I did right to be able to send emails from the mailbox I moved over to exch2003, but I tried everything I did on another mailbox on 5.5 and I still can't send email to it.

Re-pointed the mailbox to a user account in 5.5 Administrator
Refreshed Exchange 5.5 Administrator
Opened the properties for this account in AD Users and Comp
Refreshed AD U & C
Logged off the account on workstation using the Mailbox on Exch 2003
Logged back on

Still can't send.  WTF?

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 35
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 30.Apr.2007 1:27:45 PM   
Trash

I just went through the settings again and can't see why I can send emails to the one user who's mailbox is still on the old 5.5 server from the mailbox of the one user I moved to Exchange 2003, and not to any of the other users.

Well accept fo the user I created for test purposes.  Which again this test user even it's mailbox located on the old 5.5 server. 

Does something stick out here to anybody? 

If I can get past this last obstacle I can finish this conversion because all I have it the mailboxes to move over.  We ahve nothing in public folders.

Thanks to all!

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 36

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter