• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Problem With First Exchange 2003 Installation

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Problem With First Exchange 2003 Installation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem With First Exchange 2003 Installation - 10.May2007 8:39:48 AM   
cwodrs

Morning,

I have ran into a problem, and I am hoping that someone could really help me out?
Here is the senerio:

I have a Win 2003 AD with 2 DC's and various other member servers. About a month or so ago I installed the first Exchange 2003 Server into the AD. I installed it on a DC because I have been told that the first Exchange server had to be installed on a DC, I found out the other day that was not the case. I have been wanting to uninstall Exchange prior to this info and redo because the first I did I didn't really set it up how I wanted it. Anyways, I uninstalled Exchange from the server. I reloaded Windows 2003 Server but this time I just the server a member server of the Domain. I attempted to install Exchange, but not thinking that this was a member server and not a DC, I did the regular setup without /forestprep or /domainprep. The installation complete, but of course not all the Exchange attributes are available in System Manager. So after realizing what I did, went back and attempted to run /forestprep and got a error stating that I need to us an account that had Full Exchange Administration privillages (which I was) so I thought that maybe I had did it backwards and then did a /domainprep with no errors. But I am still not able to complete a /forestprep successfully. I have even attempted to do a /removeorg but get the same error (No Permissions) I rebuilted the server the second time again and still the same errors. Could there still be Exchange information from the original First Exchange install in the AD that might of got fully removed on the first uninstall?? Is there a way to completly remove all aspects of Exchange from the AD so I can complete a 1st Exchange Server install again?? I really appreciate any assistance on this. I have been pulling my hair out over this for the last two days!!!

Thanks
Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer
Post #: 1
RE: Problem With First Exchange 2003 Installation - 10.May2007 4:20:37 PM   
a.grogan

Hiya Randy, this can be caused by some entries being left in AD.
These entries can be removed by using ADSI edit and following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830186/en-us

Thanks

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to cwodrs)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem With First Exchange 2003 Installation - 10.May2007 6:46:43 PM   
cwodrs

Thank You for your reply Andy,

I came across this link before, and try it but didn't work I must of not done it right, because I just tried it again and now it's letting me go on!!  Again Thanks

Randy

Randy Spencer

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 3
RE: Problem With First Exchange 2003 Installation - 11.May2007 5:10:34 AM   
degie

Hi Let me get this right. You removed 2003exch from a DC but not clean. The Domain does have another DC and the FSMO roles are on it? This DC will also have no AD errors and DNS is running ok. When you add a new member server the forest and domain prep extentions fails ?

(in reply to cwodrs)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Problem With First Exchange 2003 Installation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter