5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first - New Back-End server (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing

espsgroup -> 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first - New Back-End server (10.May2007 1:19:01 PM)

Hello all, I have yet another issue with my Exchange 2003 installation.

Has anyone ever seen this:

The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security policy in force

<exbe01.domain.com #5.7.0 smtp;530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first>

I just implemented a new Back-end server and moved my mailboxes to it. I changed the original server to a Front-End. I haven't set any kind of routing groups or anything, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

The Exchange troubleshooter doesn't even have this error code listed.

Additionally, I can't seem to make the IMAP server start on this host either. Emails are working between internal users but not to the outside. Everything was working fine on the Front-End server, handing outbound mails off to my GFI MailEssentials machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

espsgroup -> RE: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first - New Back-End server (10.May2007 2:19:24 PM)

Could this have anything to do with our SMTP Connector? We just have one for * right now and it's setup with a Smarthost for our mail gateway. I think I remember reading somewhere that using a smarthost with an SMTP connector as well as a back-end server could mean trouble, but I can't seem to find any more information.

Help!

espsgroup -> RE: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first - New Back-End server (10.May2007 2:26:46 PM)

I tried removing the Smarthost from the SMTP connector and moved it to the SMTP VirtualHost but I don't think that had any effect.

I wish there was a clear guide with steps for migrating from a single-server Exchange 2003 environment to a front-end / back-end environment. This has been somewhat of a nightmare for me, though I'm a Linux guy so you really can't blame me. :-)

Thanks!

a.grogan -> RE: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first - New Back-End server (10.May2007 5:17:55 PM)

HIya, on your Exchange SMTP virtual server (via the Exchange System Manager) have you enabled TLS encryption?

Cheers

A

espsgroup -> RE: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first - New Back-End server (10.May2007 8:44:29 PM)

Aha! I had the old Virtualserver set to require SSL. I cleared it and my message went out. Thanks for the tip!

I'm still working on an Imap issue (won't start on backend). I need to turn on some logging and I think I saw Dr Watson being used in another post...

espsgroup -> Imap fails to start (10.May2007 9:33:17 PM)

Well, I ran drwtsn32 -i and set drwtsn32 up for symbols. I enabled Medium diagnostic logging for all Imap4Svc entries.

When I try to start the Imap service, it hangs and then comes back 30 seconds later with "The service did not start ... Check Event viewer."

There is nothing in the event viewer and there was no crash dump.

Argh!#@

Page: [1]