• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Strange increase of transaction log files in 10 minutes

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Strange increase of transaction log files in 10 minutes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strange increase of transaction log files in 10 minutes - 21.May2007 6:27:47 PM   
Kal

Hi, I have a strange problem on my server. I think that the problem may be hidden in my previous actions so I will describe what I did on server before the problem occured:

I have transfered all the shared mail of the company I am working for to the public mail-enabled folder.

One day, the Exchange stopped working becouse of not enough space for transaction logs on a hardrive. The size of logs inreased by speed of around 200mb per minute. I figured out that becouse I as a owner of the public folder didn't have email account on exchange server so it created an infinite loop of undeliverable messages. I solved this by transfering the ownership on somebody else.

Also,  I found that the clients who were changing the message flags in the public folder were recieving a big amount of conflict messages. I disabled them using the how-to on the microsoft site. support.microsoft.com/kb/265733

quote:

0 - RESOLVE_METHOD_DEFAULT Default handling of message conflicts
1 - RESOLVE_METHOD_LAST_WRITER_WINS Last writer will win the conflict.
2 - RESOLVE_METHOD_NO_CONFLICT_NOTIFICATION Same steps as the RESOLVE_METHOD_DEFAULT, except that the contacts defined on a folder and the modifiers of a message are not notified.

I used the 2-RESOLVE_METHOD_NO_CONFLICT_NOTIFICATION

Questions:
What does the
0 - RESOLVE_METHOD_DEFAULT Default handling of message conflicts do?
 Will be there any future problems by disabling the conflict messages?

It seemed to work ok, but yesterday, I was looking through the transaction logs and there was an interval of 10 minutes when the transaction logs grew by 800mb.
message tracking center didn't reveal any increased trafic during this period.

another questions:
Is it normal for transaction logs to grow by this much in 10 minutes? Do you suggest any troubleshooting?

I am new to SBS and Exchange and I will welcome any advice that you can give me.

Thanks.

< Message edited by Kal -- 23.May2007 12:22:37 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Strange increase of transaction log files in 10 min... - 22.May2007 7:11:55 AM   
ismail.mohammed

Run exbpa

(in reply to Kal)
Post #: 2
RE: Strange increase of transaction log files in 10 min... - 23.May2007 12:22:15 PM   
Kal

Update on the problem:
Its 2 days now from the rapid grow of the transaction logs and everything seems normal. Size of transaction logs is aroud 50Mb per day. I still don't know what caused it but it's ok now.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ismail.mohammed

Run exbpa

Thanks! I didn't know about this great analyzer software.
It didn't show any problem with the transaction logs  but it revealed many other thigs that I wasn't aware of.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Strange increase of transaction log files in 10 min... - 23.May2007 11:47:55 PM   
ismail.mohammed

There could be many reason for fast growing transaction logs like if you have any looping messages, any users sending/receiving numbers of mails , large incoming of spam volume, public folder replication, open relay, if it is exchange 2000 M:drive / IFS file level AV scanning, Macintosh entourage clients might resend bugs, any mailbox movement or exmerge operation or online maintenance

(in reply to Kal)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Strange increase of transaction log files in 10 minutes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter