Upgrading Exchange5.5 to Exchange 2000 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration

visa001 -> Upgrading Exchange5.5 to Exchange 2000 (22.May2007 3:19:09 PM)

Hello everyone,

This is my first time to post new thread. I try to post Exchange2000->Migration,  not sure if i post it correctly. Thanks for reading.

I will deploy a project--upgrading Exchange5.5 to Exchange 2000.Here is the main steps:
1. backup current Exchange5.5 data
2. install Windows2K server w/Exchange 2000 from scratch.(not replacing server hardware,
Windows2k server and Exchange 2000 server are located in the same server)
3. recover Exchange5.5 data on New windows2000 w/Exchange 2000 server
I got a few questions here.
1. Should Domain name keep the same?
2. Should I run Active Directory connetcor for recovering Exchange5.5 data?

Hope to share experience with you. Thanks for your reply.

Howard

Background:
Exchange5.5 installed on Windows2000 server A,
Users in WindowsNT 4.0 server B,

After migrating:
Remove WindowsNT 4.0 server B,
Reinstall windows server A,  install Exchange2000 on it, A will be Domain Controller

master001 -> RE: Upgrading Exchange5.5 to Exchange 2000 (24.May2007 11:26:32 AM)

Any opinion everybody?

Howard

pjhutch -> RE: Upgrading Exchange5.5 to Exchange 2000 (31.May2007 9:34:57 AM)

I do not think you can restore a Exchange 5.5 Database to a a Exchange 2000 database. You need Exchange 5.5 running to migrate mailboxes or you should export mailboxes to PST files and then import them into the new Exchange 2000 environment if not keeping existing setup.

jassyca -> RE: Upgrading Exchange5.5 to Exchange 2000 (31.May2007 3:12:12 PM)

I am totally *positive* you cannot restore an Exchange 5.5 database to an Exchange 2000 server. Nope nope nope, no can do.

Yes, I'm sure there's a way in which one could export all the mailboxes to PST's then import them.. but, man, that could be a lot of work depending on how many mailboxes we're talking about. It would be a lot less work just to upgrade in place. Not that upgrading in place is "falling off a log" easy it's just not as much work nor as complex as all that exporting / importing.

Visa001: To answer your questions, you have to give us a little more information.

Question 1 - Keep the domain name? Well, that's up to your organization. Do they want to keep that name or do they want to use another name? I don't remember Exchange 5.5 too well anymore but I have a vague memory that it was not too horribly hard to change the name.

I think this article might be it: "How to change the email domain name in Exchange 5.5?"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555576/en-us

You can also change the name after you upgrade to Exchange 2000 but I'm not finding an article with quick and easy directions. To be honest, I've never really looked at what it would take to change our email domain name but I've got the feeling that once you upgrade to Ex2000, it would be a major undertaking to change your email domain name. Oh, you could add another SMTP address with the new email domain name for each user easily enough (that's just a recipient policy) but you'd still have to get rid of all the old SMTP addresses with the old name. Ugh. I haven't found a quick and dirty way to do that except if you use something like that Lde-something tool (which is waaaaay too complex for me, don't know about anyone else). So, your idea about asking if you should change the domain name at this point was a very good thought.

Question 2 - Run Active Directory connector? Initially, absolutely. Because it needs to populate your Active Directory accounts with the Exchange 5.5 information so all that stuff gets integrated in your Active Directory and into your Exchange 2000. After that, it depends if you have any other Exchange 5.5 servers in your environment. If not, then you don't need the connector after your migration from Ex 5.5 is done.

Page: [1]