• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How can I limit store.exe memory usage

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> How can I limit store.exe memory usage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How can I limit store.exe memory usage - 11.Jun.2007 4:03:45 PM   
cdub

I have an exchange 2k7 box with 8gb of RAM.  It has to run 2 VMWare virtual machines and Antigen.  The store.exe keeps trying to use 5gb of memory at least.

So how can I tell store.exe to use no more than 3.5gb of RAM - a hard cap so to speak?

Post #: 1
RE: How can I limit store.exe memory usage - 27.May2008 12:59:47 PM   
awitt

I am also having this same problem, except store.exe is using almost all 8gb of physical memory that we have installed. Does anyone have a fix for this?

I have been just restarting the server when memory usage gets out of control, but this is getting rediculous. It's to the point that I can't open certain programs because I get a 'out of memory' error!

Please help.

(in reply to cdub)
Post #: 2
RE: How can I limit store.exe memory usage - 23.Jun.2008 2:20:59 AM   
jeka

Try to restrict cache size
http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2007/08/restricting-ram-usage-in-exchange-2007.html

(in reply to awitt)
Post #: 3
RE: How can I limit store.exe memory usage - 30.Jun.2008 3:42:30 PM   
ehuber

We had the same problem.  Store.exe was consuming so much phy-mem that our nightly backup would not run.  I read the various posts here and elsewhere and then called Microsoft. Basically here is what they had me do.  1st the Exchange box must be SP 2 (O/S) and SP-1 (EX).  Secondly they had me create a page file of 16gb on the system drive and one 1.05 x the phy-mem on another drive.  Seems 1.05 is the magic number for x64 and Exchange07, They were very adamant about this size.  After these steps they had me apply the update rollup #2 for Exchange07 SP-1 KB948016.  After more testing they finally had me apply the following hotfix to the O/S. Article ID: 938486 this fixes an issue with the memory trimming on the box.  Be sure to do a system state backup prior to this hotfix as it modifies the HAL.dll as well as the NTOSKRNL.EXE.  The server has been running for 4 days with these settings and my memory usage has dropped to about 39% of the 16gb.  Now the Store process does go to 12GB but never exceeds this threshold and more importantly gives the memory back to other processes.  In the early morning the top process is beremote.exe (BackupExec).  We have not missed any backups and the BE-SRS is running consistantly.  While MS has not closed the case I consider the issue resolved.  The tech did say that the CACHE parameter should not be modified in ADSIEDIT.  Modifying this parameter will permently limit the system of memory usage.  So far I have not noticed any system degregation, nor is the system paging excessively as it was before.

Ekh.

(in reply to jeka)
Post #: 4
RE: How can I limit store.exe memory usage - 9.Jul.2008 2:56:23 PM   
awitt

I am running Exchange 2007 on Server '08, and those instructions don't seem to work on server 08. Does anyone else have any ideas?

(in reply to jeka)
Post #: 5
RE: How can I limit store.exe memory usage - 9.Jul.2008 3:37:11 PM   
ehuber

Hmm, 2008 O/S.  Those articles don't touch 08.  What do your page files look like.  While I know the HotFix for the memory manager fixed the memory releasing issue.  I saw some improvement when I changed the page file locations around.
How many mailboxes do you have?

(in reply to awitt)
Post #: 6
RE: How can I limit store.exe memory usage - 2.Nov.2008 2:56:36 PM   
pepinho

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehuber

We had the same problem.  Store.exe was consuming so much phy-mem that our nightly backup would not run.  I read the various posts here and elsewhere and then called Microsoft. Basically here is what they had me do.  1st the Exchange box must be SP 2 (O/S) and SP-1 (EX).  Secondly they had me create a page file of 16gb on the system drive and one 1.05 x the phy-mem on another drive.  Seems 1.05 is the magic number for x64 and Exchange07, They were very adamant about this size.  After these steps they had me apply the update rollup #2 for Exchange07 SP-1 KB948016.  After more testing they finally had me apply the following hotfix to the O/S. Article ID: 938486 this fixes an issue with the memory trimming on the box.  Be sure to do a system state backup prior to this hotfix as it modifies the HAL.dll as well as the NTOSKRNL.EXE.  The server has been running for 4 days with these settings and my memory usage has dropped to about 39% of the 16gb.

Very interesting...

Ehuber, could you update us regarding the stability of the hotfix? Are you happy with it?

(in reply to ehuber)
Post #: 7
RE: How can I limit store.exe memory usage - 16.Dec.2008 6:09:11 AM   
pepinho

Hello.

I applied hotfix kb938486 on my Windows 2003 SP2 x64 with Exchange 2007 (RTM with UpdateRollup7), running with 6 GB of physical RAM and serving 45 Outlook 2007 (SP1) users.

After the hotfix, memory consuption of the Store.exe process is still very high, taking almost 5 GB. Nightly backups with Symantec BackupExec 12.0 SP2 are failling quite regularly with "insufficient memory" errors in the Volume Shadow Service (VSS). The fact is that Store.exe is taking too much physical memory for itself and is causing the daily backups to fail.

I am very upset with this Microsoft product (Exchange 2007). I think 6 GB of RAM should be enought to serve 45 users and to take propper backups of the mailboxes. Exchange 2007 is taking more of my time than ANY OTHER SOFTWARE I have ever have to administer in my 10 years in IT. I very much regret migrating to Exchange 2007, should have stayed with old good Exchange 2003 SP2 which worked so well.

/rant off.

(in reply to pepinho)
Post #: 8
RE: How can I limit store.exe memory usage - 7.Feb.2009 11:34:34 PM   
kfeng

I have been reading the high memory usage for Exchange 2007.  I am facing the same scenario.  Prior to moving users from E2K3 to E2K7.  Memory was fine.  No high spikes whatsoever.  I have E2K7 running on Windows Server 08 with 8 GB RAM and dual Quad Xeon.  CPU is not an issues at all, memory is constantly going toward 7.95 GB or 93%.  What gives????  I have to restart the Server to get it back down to 23% or 2.59 GB of RAM.  I have alreading installed the Rollup 4..didn't help.

For all the denial threads, unless you are in Production, you don't seem to know the pain we're going thru here.  E2K7 is starting to suck....

(in reply to pepinho)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> How can I limit store.exe memory usage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter