• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Connecting two offices

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Connecting two offices Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 4:07:39 AM   
SystemAdmin

Hello Experts,

Currently we are in the process of connecting two offices. Basically we want to have one domain accross organization like companyname.com and all offices should connect with the head office. We thought about number of options including the option of creating trust relationship between the two servers. We will have Windows 2003, and Exchange 2003. We have 5 Servers in one office and want to setup services (AD, DNS, Exchange, ISA Server), so that we are connected with the head office in a way that we could be able to use one global address list organization wide, we could make changes in user accounts and contacts and those changes should be replicated on the head office server.

We have not yet started the process but before we start, we want expert opinion as to how we should setup services on various boxes and how we can create trust relationship between the servers of two offices, so that we are then one organization globally.

FYI, currently we have separate domains of each office and running different versions of exchange and windows.

Thanks much in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 5:09:56 AM   
pjhutch

Personally, I would scrap the existing setup in the second office, and use the existing setup in your head office.
Depending on the speed of the link to the sub-office, you can set up a second DC in a new site and configure replication. Alternatively, if replication is a problem, you can set up a child domain of the main domain.
Also, you could set up a new Exchange server in the sub-office (if you have a fast link, you could use Exchange at HQ instead) joined to the same Exchange organisation as the one at HQ.
This should give all the benefits you require and non of the messing about with seperate domains etc.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to SystemAdmin)
Post #: 2
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 5:34:26 AM   
SystemAdmin

Thanks for the reply, pjhutch.

Let me explain you little bit more about the current setup...

In the head office, we have windows 2003 and exchange 2003 and a domain let say companydomain.com. Excellent Internet link.

In the sub-office, we have windows 2000 and exchange 2000 and a domain let say suboffice.com. We also have DSL on Fiber which is quite fast in the sub-office.

Now, the objective is to connect sub-office to the head office, so that sub-office could also be on companydomain.com rather than suboffice.com. We have planned to purchase windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 in the sub-office soon.

My assumption is that we will recreate domain in the sub-office with the name companydomain.com and will have to create trust relationship between exchange and windows servers of sub-office to the exchange and windows servers of the head office.

However, we are not sure yet that where to start, what to do in exchange 2003 and windows 2003 in the sub-office and what to do on head office servers.

I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 6:15:44 AM   
pjhutch

Why recreate a domain called companydomain.com when the domain is already available at HQ, which you can join?
All you have to do is run dcpromo on new DC at the sub office and join the HQ domain and replicate the existing info down. No need to set up trusts or anything.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 4
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 6:30:21 AM   
SystemAdmin

Thanks for the reply, Peter!

I agree that we will join the domain which is available at HQ. But could you please explain how the sub-office DC will find HQ's DC when we will run dcpromo on the sub-office DC?

Thanks in advance!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 5
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 7:18:22 AM   
pjhutch

First, do you have any sort of connection from the office to HQ? Dial  up? DSL? Leased line, fibre optic?

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 6
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 7:20:30 AM   
SystemAdmin

We do not have any connection yet. So far, we have been running our setups separately, I mean no sub-office connection with the HQ.

Thanks

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 7
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 8:13:55 AM   
pjhutch

Oops, you do have a connection: Fibre DSL.  What is the speed like on that connection? 256K, 512K or faster?

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 8
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 8:16:44 AM   
SystemAdmin

Peter, I meant that we do not have connection in between offices. We do have fast internet connection within HQ and Sub-office. We have 1.5MB link in the sub-office and HQ has even faster.

Thanks for your help!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 9
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 8:53:44 AM   
pjhutch

Can you contact the other servers in HQ over this link?

You could set up a secure VPN link so that servers in the office can connect to servers at HQ. Then you can join the office servers to the main domain at HQ.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 10
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 8:58:11 AM   
SystemAdmin

Thanks for the reply, Peter.

We have a CISCO device for VPN link but have not yet deployed it. So, first we need to deploy that and then we would be able to just join the DC on HQ server. But this way the sub-office will have full access to all the OUs in the AD probably ? perhaps sub-office need to have access to those objects which relates only to sub-office - means users, groups etc related to sub-office. What do you think about just joing the domain and then delegating administrative rights would work in our case?

Thanks!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 11
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 9:18:21 AM   
pjhutch

Yes, I think you should deploy the CISCO first.
You can use Delegated access to specific OUs, so that you can see other OUS but cannot change them, only the ones you specify that users can change. Its the recommended way of managing objects in AD.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 12
RE: Connecting two offices - 18.Jun.2007 9:21:52 AM   
SystemAdmin

Thanks Peter for your help!

We will start working on this and will get back to you if issues arises.

Many thanks once again!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 13
RE: Connecting two offices - 26.Nov.2010 1:34:04 AM   
SystemAdmin

Hello Peter,

I posted question separately but later I found this conversation and think that it might be helpful to continue from here...

So, the update is that we have now site-to-site working between the two offices and have created child domain in the sub-office.

I know there are many OUs and other objectes on the HQ AD but when we created child domain in the sub-office, we did not see those OUs and other AD objects. I configured sub-office AD server as global catelog. You mentioned above about replication - do you think we need to configure replication in the sub-office in order to get all the AD objects from HQ AD? If yes, please let me know how we can configure replication.

We also would like to have user mailbox created in the sub-office when we will be creating a new user in the sub-office AD. Currently I cannt create email-enabled account in the sub-office AD.

FYI, Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 servers are installed at HQ and we only have windows 2003 in the sub-office. Ideally we would like to use exchange server installed on the HQ.

I would greatly appreciate your help on this to complete the task we talked about few years back :)

Thanks, Peter!

Post #: 14
RE: Connecting two offices - 26.Nov.2010 5:20:48 AM   
pjhutch

If you have a sub-domain there there is no replication needed, you can access objects in the HQ domain. To login to HQ enter HQ\username, to login to child domain, enter CHILD\username, you can also use permissions from either domain using DOMAIN\group or DOMAIN\username as there is a two-way transitive trust.

To create Exchange accounts on the subdomain, you need to run DomainPrep from the Exchange CD on the child domain's domain controller. It will already have the schema changes.

See:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Forestprep-Domainprep-Explained.html
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5169218.html

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 15
RE: Connecting two offices - 26.Nov.2010 5:43:18 AM   
SystemAdmin

Peter, Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate it.

Three things...

1. Do I need to be member of SchemaAdmin and EnterpriseAdmin groups in order to run DomainPrep on the subdomain?

2. Do you think there would be any configuration/installation changes on the HQ AD/Exchange if we run DomainPrep on the subdomain. I am asking this because we do not want to create mess with the maindomain but at the same time we do want subdomain to be working as expected.

3. We currently have email-enabled accounts on the HQ AD which belongs to sub-office. What is the best way to move those accounts to the subdomain?

Thanks!

< Message edited by SystemAdmin -- 26.Nov.2010 5:49:54 AM >

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Connecting two offices Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter