• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Hub/Edge Transport Questions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Hub/Edge Transport Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hub/Edge Transport Questions - 19.Jun.2007 10:21:49 PM   
rakem

Im just preparing for our impending upgrade to Exchange 2007 and im just a bit confused about the hub transport server roles.

Im doing some reading from the Microsoft site and just need some clarification on the following statement taken from this site http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124398.aspx

it says:
"Each Active Directory directory service site that contains the Mailbox server role must include one or more Hub Transport servers"

Now we currently have one exchange 2003 server.  We have a single domain name which is split up into 8 sites. Its a single forest design.  Each site has its own DC which is also the GC.

So the way that i understand the above statement is that only a site which has an Exchange 2007 server needs to have the hub transport servers role installed in that site, (on the exchange server)  And that the Hub transport role is installed when you do a typical install.  Do i have this correct?

Also currently out exchange server is not on the the internet, All incoming external mail hits our firewall which then port forwards it to an email security device which then forwards the email to the exchange server.  This process is reversed for outgoing email.
We would like to keep this setup so would there be any need for us to use the Edge Transport option as well?

thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Hub/Edge Transport Questions - 22.Jun.2007 2:16:16 PM   
mwatts

You are correct, You just need a hub transport in the site that you have Exchange installed at and yes the Hub Transport role, Client Access Server, and Mailbox Server role can all be on the same server. 

For your second question if you have mail flowing into your organization and like the way it is configured than you technically do not need a Edge Transport Server.

(in reply to rakem)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Hub/Edge Transport Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter