• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Invalid Domain Name System - domain name contains an underscore _

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Invalid Domain Name System - domain name contains an underscore _ Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Invalid Domain Name System - domain name contains an un... - 22.Jun.2007 6:21:06 PM   
exchange_moron

Hello,

Our Windows domain name contains an underscore ( _ ), and according to MS, Exchange 2007 can NOT proceed unless the domain has been renamed. 

Has anyone heard of anything that could get around this restriction without renaming our domain name?

Thank you in advance for any comments

Invalid Domain Name System Domain Name
Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 setup cannot continue because the Domain Name System (DNS) domain name set on the local computer is invalid.
Exchange 2007 setup requires that the DNS domain name not contain characters other than 'A-Z', 'a-z','0-9', '.' and '-'.
To resolve this issue, determine whether the invalid characters are in the local computer's machine name or the actual DNS Domain Name.
         If the invalid characters are in the machine name for the local computer, reset the DNS domain name for the domain on the local computer by using only valid characters in the range of 'A-Z', 'a-z','0-9', '.' and '-', restart the computer, and rerun Exchange 2007 setup.
         If the invalid characters are in the organization's DNS domain name, consider the feasibility of renaming the DNS domain or installing Exchange 2007 into a new domain tree.

Caution:

Changing the DNS domain name can dramatically affect your whole network. Before you make any change to the DNS domain name, coordinate with you network administrator.

To verify the DNS domain name of the local computer
1.     Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. The System Properties dialog box will appear.
2.     Click the Computer Name tab.
3.     Click Change. The Computer Name Changes dialog box will appear.
4.     Click More. The DNS Suffix and NetBIOS Computer Name dialog box will appear.
5.     Verify that only characters in the range of 'A-Z', 'a-z','0-9', '.' and '-' are used.
6.     Select the Change primary DNS suffix when domain membership changes check box.
7.     Click OK to save any changes, and then click OK to exit the Computer Name Changes dialog box.
8.     Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box, and then restart the computer for any changes to take effect.
For more information about DNS Names, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 909264, "Naming conventions in Active Directory for computers, domains, sites, and OUs" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=909264).
Post #: 1
RE: Invalid Domain Name System - domain name contains a... - 23.Jun.2007 2:58:26 AM   
BeTaCam

Hi,

This is a minimum pre-requisite in line with the IETF DNS specs which does not support special characters in the represenatation format. All references to a unique host record should not contain special characters under a Looup zone, contained with in the security boundary (Forest) of the underlying active directory services.

In the steps cited below, you are trying to replace the DNS suffix and not the Fully Qualified Domain Name of the active directory.

You'd have to use the domain rename tool (rendom.exe) the Microsoft site, the only supported method as described by Microsoft. You'd also have to execute a post fix script (link provided)

Links:

1. Rename a Windows 2003 Forest and Domain (without any exchange organization in the Forest or Domain).
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb405948.aspx

2. Rename a Windows 2003 Forest and Domain with an Exchange 2003 organization present.
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Domain-Rename.html

3. Post Fix
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=24b47d4a-c4b9-4031-b491-29839148a28c&displaylang=en

PLEASE NOTE : IT IS HIGHLY RECOMENDED TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPACT OF DOMAIN RENAME.

Hth

BetaCam.

(in reply to exchange_moron)
Post #: 2
RE: Invalid Domain Name System - domain name contains a... - 30.Nov.2007 2:20:54 PM   
exchange_moron

Thought I refresh this issue to see if there's another easier way to upgrade to echange 2007.   My other option is to install exchange 2007 onto a new domain and assign two way trust and slowly begin migrate users to the new domain.

Any feed back and comments are welcome.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

(in reply to BeTaCam)
Post #: 3
RE: Invalid Domain Name System - domain name contains a... - 4.Dec.2007 7:46:57 AM   
rishishah

Your idea of using a 2nd domain would be much better and will save you a lot of issues in the future. Appreciate it may be a huge job if you have loads of users and computers but there are free tools for that.

Renaming a domain has its implications and unless you fully understand them (as stated by previous posted) the new domain option is the best

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to exchange_moron)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Invalid Domain Name System - domain name contains an underscore _ Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter