• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail - 3.Jul.2007 7:34:26 PM   
griswold

Good Day everyone,
I am at a loss as to how to solve the problem we are encountering.  I am pretty technical guy who has done IT support before, so I'm not a complete noob, but I am relatively new to the whole Exchange arena.  I am working for a startup company and I am running into some problems with Exchange.

We ordered some Dell servers, and one of them had SBS2003 installed, as we are not a big company, we figured this would suffice for a while.  It was right out of the box from Dell, and we finished the configuration of the server, and I deployed a test profile to my own desktop just to see how things were working.  Here is where things go horribly wrong.

First off we have a FQDN registered, and records setup on our DNS server, including the infamous MX record!  The domain resolves to our domain name just fine and it's pingable.  However, when I startup Outlook for the first time on my profile, I can neither send or receive e-mail, either internally or externally.  We tried sending an e-mail to our SBS2003 server from an external source, and after checking the firewall and exchange logs, we were able to conclude that the mail got routed to the box okay, however the last message in the log says Undeliverable Mail.

I've tried it with the POP3, IMAP, etc. connectors on and off and on and off, etc......and nothing seems to help.

So to me it seems like the mail is getting routed correctly, but that there is some reason why it's not delivering to the specific mailbox on the server.

If anyone could offer any assistance I would be most appreciative.  I've spent numerous days working on this, reading documentation from the web, etc., and I'm at my wits end.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail - 4.Jul.2007 2:46:42 AM   
ismail.mohammed

As far as i understand you are not able send email internally and externally.
So i use to narrow down issue like this:

Whenever i install any exchange server : the first server in the site.
I will run EXBPA (www.exbpa.com)
EXTRA (www.extra.com)
then winroute.
And will see that whether i have configured my mail server as per the microsoft recommendation.

Then internal user....
I will send test mail, will do message tracking, will make sure i get deliver reciept...
if that mail is not going to that user, what is the NDR message i am getting i will see... i will he has valid mail address. will check homemdb address and homemta address. Even i will test the mailflow by increasing diagnostic logging for msexchange transport.

For external user:
Before i could go for external i will internal then i will work on external mailflow.

(in reply to griswold)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail - 4.Jul.2007 12:27:49 PM   
griswold

Okay if I run the analyzer from the server the analyzer starts and I can run the tools.  However, it is recommended that the tool be run from a desktop.  Running from a desktop proves to be a lot more problematic to say the least (I am running as administrator also).  When I run the "Connect to Active Directory" step, it returns a message "No exchange administrative groups found in organization."  If I expand the "Advanced Login Options" and login both the AD and Exchange server access as administrator, it comes back with "Login failure:  unknown user name or bad password" on the Exchange server portion.  How can the admin account be unknown???

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail - 4.Jul.2007 1:09:07 PM   
griswold

One more thing I can add that may help here.  When I setup a new exchange account ("Add New E-mail Account") and fill out the informationa and click "Next>", it tries to process the "Search for john.smith@abc.ca server settings" and fails.  It comes back with "An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available.  Click Next to attempt using an unencrypted connection."  So I click next and the same thing happens.  For some reason my client can't find my mailbox's server settings.

(in reply to griswold)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail - 4.Jul.2007 3:59:03 PM   
ismail.mohammed

Try to run the tool on the server itself.
Check the user right and delegation he has in the exchange.

(in reply to griswold)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail - 4.Jul.2007 4:48:03 PM   
griswold

When I check the test user's rights and delegations in the Server Management tool (not the ADUC, as the user's do not appear in there), I looked in the following:

"Member of" and found the following:

Administrators
Domain Users
Exchange Domain Servers
Exchange Enterprise Servers
Internet Users
Remote Web Workplace Users

If this is not what you mean, please explain further.

As for the tool, here is what I come up with.....

Upon connecting to AD the following tree appears.  First Organization>First Administrative Group> {Our Server Name - for example purposes I will call it 'Eden'}

I performed 3/5 scans.  I didn't run the baseline or the 2007 readiness tool

Health Check Scan produced the following:

• Database Backup Critical - we've never done a full backup, but since I'm just in setup and implementation mode, there is nothing critical being held right now anyway.
  • Link State not Registered - Reads "SMTP instance 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' on server EDEN does not support the 'X-LINK2STATE' verb. This will cause routing updates to be frozen." Read the information about this error and concluded it is only needed for intelligent routing, but should still work without it.
  • 'XEXCH50' not registered - Reads "SMTP instance 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' on server EDEN does not support the 'XEXCH50' verb. This may cause public folder replication problems."  This only appears to affect replicating, which we are currently not doing.
  • Applications log size - Recommends increasing log size.
  • Consider setting 'TarpitTime' - Reads "Recipient filtering is enabled on server EDEN.domain.name. "  Doean's have any further information on this one.
  • Crash upload logging disabled - This is the option that turns on auto-send to MS when a crash occurs.

I ran a permission scan but don't really understand what it's telling me.

Next was the connectivity test......
  • Found Active Directory site Default-First-Site-Name in the directory
  • AD server Eden.domain.name is running Windows Server 2003
  • Found AD Server EDEN.domain.name
  • Found Administrative group first administrative group in the directory
  • Exchange Server EDEN is running Windows Server 2003
  • Found Exchange Server EDEN in the directory

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail - 4.Jul.2007 5:14:16 PM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

Open adsi edit
go to the properties of that user check for homemdb and homemta value (This is for exchange 2003 but i don't knw abt exchange 2007). i guess you can get it.

Email is address is stamped for that user.

Moreover that user have complete rightS?

Next i could lot of error like link state and smtp please resolve it.

If you still find difficult please forward that exbpa file on my mail address. I will what best i can do for you.

And along with this i require ldp dump of user.

(in reply to griswold)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Exchange not sending/receiving e-mail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter