• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

New to Exchange and need help with migration...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> New to Exchange and need help with migration... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New to Exchange and need help with migration... - 9.Jul.2007 11:26:43 AM   
sullise

Here's the deal.  I'm not a windows person persay (use it, but never managed Windows Servers, only Linux).

I've been tasked by my boss to "rebuild" our Exchange server.

We currently run Exchange 2003 on a Win2000 box.   We are moving it to new hardware using Win2003 as the OS (same Exchange version).

Now here's where I am currently:

- Installed and secured Win2003 and that seems ok.
- Did NOT make the new box a DC, but did connect it to the existing Domain that the old Exchange server is on.
- Installed Exchange 2003 on the new box.

The new box shows under the Domain on both machines and Exchange sees it and I was able to replicate the Public Folders so they are now on both boxes. 

Problem 1:
What I'm not sure of  is how to mass move the Users and mailboxes from the old server to the new one.  I can do it manually, one at a time, that part seems straight forward and I have done it with a test account and it seems to work.  But tedious and takes too much time.

Problem 2:
Once I have the accounts moved, what next? Just turn off the old server? Don't think that would work since it's also the DC.  I would think I would need to run DCPromo, Forest Prep, and/or ADprep first?

Problem 3:
Is there anything special I need to for the web protion to work?  Any connectors I need to be aware of?  Anything else I'm overlooking?

Plan on doing this on a Sunday when the office is closed and least amount of mail traffic.

Sean
Post #: 1
RE: New to Exchange and need help with migration... - 11.Jul.2007 11:11:12 AM   
pjhutch

1. Use AD Users and Computers, right click a group of users, right click, select Exchange Tasks, and select Move Mailbox to move groups of users to new server.

2. If you only  have one DC, then you will need to promote the new box as a DC to replicate information across (this can take hours), move the FSMO roles and global catalog. You will also need to migrate the Exchange roles across: Routing master, RUS service, OAB, Org Forms, Free/Busy info.

3. No, all Exchange server have OWA installed by default. The name may change though for url as its a new box.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to sullise)
Post #: 2
RE: New to Exchange and need help with migration... - 11.Jul.2007 12:45:43 PM   
sullise

Ok...#1 is simple enough.

#2 is a little more difficult or at least I'm a little confused.  I tried to run DCPROMO on the new server to make it a secondary DC (same domain), but it says I need to run ADPREP \forestprep and \domainprep.  According to what I read, theses have to be run on the old server?  Will doing so hurt anything?

As for the other things I need to move in #2, need some more details.  As I said, this is all new to me and definitely don't want to overlook anything.

Your advice is more appreciated then you know.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3
RE: New to Exchange and need help with migration... - 12.Jul.2007 4:11:12 AM   
pjhutch

ADPREP will upgrade a Windows 2000 domain to a Windows 2003 domain, so if making a Win 2003 a DC for first time, you need to do this. This will update the schema/domain ready for a Windows 2003 domain, the tool is on the Win 2003 CD.
The first DC you install, will have the FSMO roles:  PDC Emulator, RID Master, Schema Master, Infrastructure master and Domain naming master. These can be changed in the AD management consoles: AD U&C, AD Sites & Services and AD Schema. You can move them between servers:
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/W2K3_FSMO_transfer.htm

To move Exchange roles, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to sullise)
Post #: 4
RE: New to Exchange and need help with migration... - 12.Jul.2007 11:43:31 AM   
sullise

Thanks..this has been a major help. 

Sean

(in reply to sullise)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> New to Exchange and need help with migration... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter