• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Need to Increase Default Database Size in Exchange 2003 standard

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Need to Increase Default Database Size in Exchange 2003 standard Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need to Increase Default Database Size in Exchange 2... - 13.Jul.2007 12:56:22 AM   
mahes.banerjee

Hi,
Currently we are using  standard edition of MSExchange 2003.
Currently the  physical size of our Database is 20GB (priv.edb-14GB & priv1.stm-6GB).
But in Event Viewer I m getting following log
" The database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (MAIL2)" has 6393 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated."
Now my question is :  what  would be the process to incerase the database size to 40GB and  what  are  the problems may  occure after  increasing the database size.
Thanx in advance.
rgds,
mahesB
Post #: 1
RE: Need to Increase Default Database Size in Exchan... - 13.Jul.2007 3:20:48 AM   
ismail.mohammed

Hi,
In exchange 2003 prior to release of SP2 we had a limitation of 16 GB each for database i.e 16GB for private and 16 GB for public database. If we are reaching to 16 GB we can extend it upto one GB more for running offline defragmentation. Online defragmentation only showing the acquiring whitespace after offline defragmentation and offline defragmentation eseutil /d will acquire that much of white space.
But after the release of SP2 we can extent the limitation upto 75 GB and moreover you don't require to run offline defragmentation because it will directly occupy the whitespace. Only thing you have take care is that make sure you are not reaching to 75 GB, if you are almost reaching to 75 GB then you need to upgrade to ent.edtion. So most of the company will set the limitation between 40-60 GB on each database. and if if pilling up they will plan to upgrade the exchange server before it could cause the issue.
So inorder to do it we need to add some Reg_dword value. I have pasted the below registry key for private database, if want to apply on public you need follow the same step on public database key under msexchangeis
All registry settings discussed in this topic are created in the following registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\<SERVER NAME>\Private-013e2e46-2cd7-4a8e-bfec-0e4652b94b00
The following new registry settings are available with SP2:
=> Database Size Limit in GB
=> Database Size Buffer Warning in Percentage
=> Database Size Check Start Time in Hours from Midnight
It is desrcibed much more detail in this following link:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6c4ce7bb-5289-4221-a87c-b9c78ab7c09c.aspx

(in reply to mahes.banerjee)
Post #: 2
RE: Need to Increase Default Database Size in Exchan... - 19.Jul.2007 12:53:27 AM   
mahes.banerjee

Thanx a lot.
But  I want to know that what are the precautions should I take before making that registry entry?
Does it require to unmount the  informatin store?
Now the total size of .edb+.stm file is 20 GB  but from event viewer it is given 6.5 GB of free space after online defragmentation-- what does it mean?
please clear my concept..
Rgds,
mahes

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Need to Increase Default Database Size in Exchan... - 19.Jul.2007 6:30:15 PM   
ismail.mohammed

if u want then you can take registry backup.
The space which is displayed in online defrag is your whitespace in the database which can be covered after running offline defrag. but if you install sp2 and modify the keys then it should take care automatically..

(in reply to mahes.banerjee)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Need to Increase Default Database Size in Exchange 2003 standard Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter