• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Adresses need to default to bcc

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Adresses need to default to bcc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Adresses need to default to bcc - 17.Jul.2007 7:09:29 AM   
williamsonkwr

We currently use exchange server 5.5 with Outlook 2000.

We have a public folder containing lots of e-mail addresses and categories.  A user selects a group of contacts by selecting either a single category or a group of categories.  The use then selects the "New Message to Contact" option from the Action tool menu.

By default this puts all the addresses in the To field, the user then cuts and pastes them into the Bcc field.

Is there an easy way to customise the action or a form so that the user can still select a group of e-mail addresses by category, but when the user selects to create the new message, all the addresses are put in the Bcc field rather than the To field?

Many thanks for any help.
Post #: 1
RE: Adresses need to default to bcc - 18.Jul.2007 3:27:41 AM   
zbnet

This topic was discussed a few days ago in one of the MS newsgroups:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook&tid=61722917-a567-4b6c-a1d7-39758c68e14b&p=1

(in reply to williamsonkwr)
Post #: 2
RE: Adresses need to default to bcc - 18.Jul.2007 4:18:00 AM   
williamsonkwr

Thank you for this however we moved away from using distribution lists becuase the same contact could be in multiple categories and when someone changed their e-mail address it meant each distribution list had to be searched for that address and changed if need be.  Also when new lists are provided it is easier to search a public folder of contacts to see if the address in the new lists is already present or not, so all in all we have found contacts much easier to maintain than distribution lists.

The cut and paste technique is what we have been using however I was thinking that there should be a way of creating a new buttin or highjacking the existing “send new message to contacts” tool option so that a new message is craeted but with the e-mail addresses in the bcc field instead of the to field?

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 3
RE: Adresses need to default to bcc - 18.Jul.2007 4:24:20 AM   
williamsonkwr

I should have added that we use Office 2000 but quite a lot of users were updated to Outlook 2002 when the instal from HP Active Sync was installed to sync with IPAQs and the mail merge fuhnction does not work with the message "To use this feature, you must install the version of Microsoft word that matches the installed version of Microsoft Outlook"?

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 4
RE: Adresses need to default to bcc - 18.Jul.2007 4:43:04 AM   
williamsonkwr

Another piece of information I should have mentioned (sorry not to get it all down in one posting) is that on most occasions the e-mail is to send out a publication, which is in a pdf file, and is sent as an attachment.

Post #: 5
RE: Adresses need to default to bcc - 18.Jul.2007 8:06:35 AM   
zbnet

I don't understand your comment "we moved away from using distribution lists becuase the same contact could be in multiple categories and when someone changed their e-mail address it meant each distribution list had to be searched for that address and changed if need be".  Do you mean contact-based distribution lists?

If you create a Custom Recipient in Exchange 5.5, and add it to GAL-based Distribution Lists, if the external email address changes you only have to change the CR's target address - all the DLs contain are pointers back to the (now changed) CR target address.

Post #: 6
RE: Adresses need to default to bcc - 18.Jul.2007 8:45:19 AM   
williamsonkwr

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions - I will have to look into this further because I do know the user was having to change every occurance of an e-mail address, chaning it in one distribution list did not change it in another, but by the sounds of it the lists could have been set up differently (and better) than they were.

Thank you.

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 7
RE: Adresses need to default to bcc - 19.Jul.2007 3:04:12 AM   
zbnet

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Some questions (to forums) shouldn't be asked simply because they could be more easily answered by simple research, but this doesn't sound like one of those questins, so you are most welcome.

Post #: 8
RE: Adresses need to default to bcc - 19.Jul.2007 4:25:57 AM   
williamsonkwr

Thank you... and the next question.  The only people who have the ability to add e-mail addresses to the GAL are the IT administrators and currently the only addresses added are those on our exchange server or employees with external e-mail addresses.  Users do not have the ability to add addresses to the GAL, nor does this particular department want others to see the addresses (tough I know that could be controlled even if they were on the GAL).

The department had a set of personal distribution lists, but two people had to maintain those lists and as mentioned they were difficult to search and maintain (there are currently over 1,500 e-mail addresses in all and 17 categories (publications).  We changed this to a public folder that everyone in that department (about 20 users) could see (reviewer permissions), but only the two people in question could maintain (editor permissions).  They are generally finding this much better, it is easier to search and maintain and compare with other customer lists that come in (usually in Excel).

The only slight problem is that the new message action puts the selected addresses in the To field and while it is no great problem to cut and paste into the bcc field it would be neater if I could find a way to do this automatically for them and there is always the dear that one day they might forget and then they would have a lot of angry customers on their hands.

The mail merge facility was very neat and looked more professional as you could personalise each e-mail however it did tie up the PC for quite a while and more importantly I could not see a way of also including an attachment and the whole point is to send out their publications, which are in pdf files.

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Adresses need to default to bcc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter