• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

IS restore to another exchange server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> IS restore to another exchange server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IS restore to another exchange server - 25.Jul.2007 9:55:06 PM   
exchangeby

We currently have 2 Exchange servers (same domain).  All the mailboxes are located on one Exchange server and the other one isn't doing anything currently.

How can I restore an NTBACKUP of the Exchange Information Store from one Exchange server to another with a differnet name?

When I try to restore to the other Exchange server (not the original)using NTBackup, the job fails and the even viewer (Event ID:9635) says "Failed to find a dabatase to restore to from the Microsoft Active Directory..." 

I found an article 555603 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555603
on how to do this but doesn't seem to work.
Does the backup only work when restored to the same system?  So there's no way to restore to another Exchange server with a different name?
Post #: 1
RE: IS restore to another exchange server - 26.Jul.2007 12:11:28 AM   
vsin11

Hi,

This is not the best practice to follow in case of your scenario. If you want to move mailboxes to the other server, please use the move mailbox wizard from exchange tasks.
Else you can also copy paste the database files to the other server and mount them there provided the servers have the same service pack levels and are in same org. But it is not recommended.
However you can also restore the backup, but again this is not at all the good choice in this case. We generally restore in case of the disaster recovery and then again there is a chance of losing some data if some log files go missing.

So i would recommend you to use move mailbox wizard instead and move the users to the other server... this will also get rid of all the whitespaces in the database and will have minimal downtime.

Vinay Pal Singh
http://smarthost.blogspot.com

(in reply to exchangeby)
Post #: 2
RE: IS restore to another exchange server - 26.Jul.2007 12:33:40 PM   
exchangeby

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
What I'm trying to do is do a test recovery so that in case we have a server crash, we could restore the exchange as soon as possible and since the other exchange server is already running exchange but not doing anything, it'd be the server to restore to.  After the restore, of course, I'd need to modify the exchange attributes of all the users to point to the other exchange server.

So we need to use the NTBackup since it has the IS backup.  
When I try to restore to the other Exchange server (not the original)using NTBackup, the job fails and the even viewer (Event ID:9635) says "Failed to find a dabatase to restore to from the Microsoft Active Directory..." 

So I'm wondering if the backup only works when restored to the same system but no to another exchange server with a different name.  My immediate goal is to be able to restore the IS using NTBackup to the other exchage server.

(in reply to vsin11)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> IS restore to another exchange server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter