• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

PF Age limit not overding PF Policy setting.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> PF Age limit not overding PF Policy setting. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PF Age limit not overding PF Policy setting. - 1.Aug.2007 4:18:31 AM   
undercover

Hi Everyone,

First post, I hope someone can help! Been lurking for a while, but now need some help. I'll try to return the favour in the future.

We've just applied a 90 day age limit on our 2003 servers, which came into force last week. This was applied though a public folder policy to all our PF servers.

I was given an exception list of folders that needed to be kept indefinitely, so on these individual folders I applied the maximum age limit setting of 24855 days. The exceptions were all subfolders, excpet one entire tree from the top level down.

Since this has been applied all PF content over 90 days appears to have vanished from the folders on the excpeption list!

Is there any known issue with the policy setting overriding the folder setting?

I've got around 500Gb's of PF's () in one hieracrhy, replicating between 4 servers. I inherited this mess a couple of weeks ago, and the decision to turn on the age limit wasn't mine, but guess who's got to work out where all the data's gone and why?!

Any thoughts would be greatly apreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: PF Age limit not overding PF Policy setting. - 1.Aug.2007 6:15:13 AM   
undercover

Actually, after some googling, I have yet to confirm that the Policy doesn't override the folder setting, would anyone be able to confirm either way?

(in reply to undercover)
Post #: 2
RE: PF Age limit not overding PF Policy setting. - 1.Aug.2007 8:12:25 AM   
undercover

Well, eventually found this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810870 for ex 2k, I guess it applies to 2k3!

Doh! <goes off to get backup tapes>

This means to override a store-level or policy-level setting, you have to go onto the replica instance on each server and set it on each folder and sub folder as there is no propogate changes down function there, does that sound right?

There are three places where you can set age limits on a folder:

Age Limit for All Replicas of a Public Folder - The Folder level

Age Limit for a Specific Microsoft Exchange Public Folder Server - The Store level

Age Limit for a Specific Replica - The Replica level (folder on a particular store) The three age limits are applied in the following order:

Age Limit for All Replicas of a Public Folder - Lowest priority

Age Limit for a Specific Microsoft Exchange Public Folder Server -Medium priority

Age Limit for a Specific Replica - Highest priority Setting option 2 overrides option 1. Setting option 3 overrides options 1 and 2.

(in reply to undercover)
Post #: 3
RE: PF Age limit not overding PF Policy setting. - 5.Aug.2007 2:07:32 AM   
hcxeadmin

that sounds about right. 

I can't stand pfs.

(in reply to undercover)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> PF Age limit not overding PF Policy setting. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter