• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Can't receive e-mails with attachment from specific domains only

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Can't receive e-mails with attachment from specific domains only Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't receive e-mails with attachment from specific dom... - 20.Aug.2007 6:30:46 PM   
kzerokenshiro

I have users complaining about not receiving e-mails from specific clients when the message contains attachments. I had the client copy me on the e-mail to my yahoo email account and I receive it.

At first i though this could be an attachment size issue, but I was able to forward the same e-mail with attchment to my users.

The client gets this:
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
      Subject:  Sample e-mail - 
      Sent:     8/20/2007 3:58 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
      John Smith on 8/20/2007 3:58 PM
            This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full.  Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again.
            <myclients.servername.companyname.com #5.2.3 smtp;450 5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host>

I also tried checking the message tracking service in exchange and discovered that the e-mails with the attachment never made it to our exchangeservers.

This also confused me as to how it was able to generate an smtp 450 code if it did not even made it to the exchange server.

We have a C10 iron port spam filter, but nowhere in there does indicates if this sender's mails are being blocked, quarantined or rejected.
Post #: 1
RE: Can't receive e-mails with attachment from specific... - 29.Aug.2007 4:21:34 PM   
mtawashi

increasing Message size limits  for a user  work internally only  which means that if you have your org. limit 5 MB and you want to increase this limit for a particular user to 10 MB the user will be able to recieve 10 MB (if the sender can send 10 MB) and the user also will be able to send 10 MB(if the recipient can recieve 10 MB) internally this is fine but external users are treated as anonymous users which means default limits will applied on them,i tried to add a a mail contact in my GAL and set the message limits for him to be 10 MB i was able to send  to him 10 MB but i couldn't recieve for him 10 MB,it sounds strange but as per Microsoft the only was is to increase the org. level which is nonsense. 

(in reply to kzerokenshiro)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't receive e-mails with attachment from specific... - 30.Aug.2007 9:32:20 AM   
kzerokenshiro

I agree. W/ exchange, anyone not listed internally is considered an external user. What bothers me is that e-mails from any other external users with e-mails reaching up to 10MB reaches our server, and yet when an e-mail originating from these 4 domains come in with as little as 500kb, it fails.  By far the only thing these 4 domains have in common is that they all use exchange 2003. We have spoken with their IT team and found no problems sending from their end to anyone else.

(in reply to mtawashi)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't receive e-mails with attachment from specific... - 30.Aug.2007 10:31:24 AM   
mtawashi

your problem is little bit confusing in the part of being able to recieve emails from other domains with attachments 10 MB and when anyone from the 4 mentioned domains tries to send you an email with an attachment 500 KB it fails,do u have any trasnport rules on your edge server related to attachments?and also is this happenning with only one user in your domain or with all users?i mean if someone tries to send an email from the 4 mentioned domains to anyone in your domain does it give the same error?

Post #: 4
RE: Can't receive e-mails with attachment from specific... - 16.Nov.2007 4:11:09 PM   
sojuangon

Hi kzerokenshiro
I have client which is they have same problem with you, they can't receive email with attachment  from 5 domain only.  May i know what is the root cause?
And here is the network infrastructure that they have:
OurOUTER ----- Their-Firewall---TheirMSExchange
regarding to them, they allow everything in firewall but still got problem. Any help would be appreciate.
Thanks in advanced.
Sojuangon

Post #: 5
RE: Can't receive e-mails with attachment from specific... - 17.Nov.2007 7:16:00 AM   
rishishah

can they receive email from that domain if it does not have an attachment.

Is it only over a particular size when the e-mail is blocked?

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to sojuangon)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Can't receive e-mails with attachment from specific domains only Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter