• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Internal and External NIC's

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Internal and External NIC's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Internal and External NIC's - 21.Aug.2007 12:40:52 PM   
Mark_FCS

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with a problem I am facing with our new Exchange 2007 set up?

Currently, the server  has 2 NIC's - one connects through our router and onto our ISP's network with a static IP address assigned to us by our ISP, making it visible on the internet.  The other has a private static IP address that we have assigned that makes the server accessible internally for our client computers.

This all seems to work fine for receiving messages and logging into Exchange either internally or externally of our building.

However, when trying to send external-bound messages, we are getting 'Relay Access Denied' messages.  After looking into this a bit deeper, it seems that it is trying to send messages out using the Internal NIC rather that the External, which is obviously not possible.  Messages sent internally all work fine.

Is there a way of telling Exchange to send messages that are not destined for adresses within our domain through the external NIC?

I hope I have expained this clearly??

Thanks for any help anyone can give me with this....

Mark.
Post #: 1
RE: Internal and External NIC's - 25.Sep.2007 12:54:57 PM   
dkissinger

I don't think the issue is the NIC I believe maybe due to the send connector do you have your FQDN for the external domain listed there?  If your ISP has not setup your static address of your server with an "a" record and the mx record of your server with that FQDN then when you send to the external world they will think your are attempting to relay and block you.

(in reply to Mark_FCS)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Internal and External NIC's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter