• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Controller"

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Controller" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Controller... - 23.Aug.2007 5:20:28 PM   
sloop

I completed a migration from Exchange 2000 Std to Exchange 2003 Std several months back.

The old Exchange 2000 server was also installed on a DC (before my time, honest).  Exchange has been completely removed from that server, although its still an active DC.

I'll be demoting and rebuilding this server to act as a second Server 2003 R2 DC.

However, in System Manager, this server (KR_EXCHANGE) is still listed as the Configuration Domain Controller.

I'd like to move this role to the new DC (KE-DC1) as I'll be demoting and rebuilding KR_EXCHANGE.

What's the best way to go about this?  Its been my experience that if I simply demote KR_EXCHANGE the DSAccess auto-detection won't automatically transfer the Config role to another DC.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Contro... - 23.Aug.2007 11:10:34 PM   
ismail.mohammed

Hi,

I would say bring another server on and transfer the role and shutdown the first dc and monitor it. It should the nearest and active dc.

here i have couple of article this might help you for understanding about forcing DC for exchange

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-System-Manager-Domain-Controller-Selection.html

http://blogs.brnets.com/michael/archive/2005/01/24/319.aspx

The above information i provided on guessing but still i need in depth information if the above one is not your goal

(in reply to sloop)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Contro... - 24.Aug.2007 9:43:50 AM   
sloop

I'll give some more background to help clarify what I'm asking about.

PAST:
Two Server 2000 DC's:
    KR_MAIN - Old file server and DHCP server.  Held all FSMO roles
    KR_EXCHANGE - Exchange 2000.  Also labelled as the "Configuration Domain Controller" in the Directory Access tab in System Manager

PRESENT:
A new Server 2003 DC has been rolled out:
    KE-DC1 - Domain upgraded, this is the first Server 2003 R2 DC.  All FSMO roles transferred to this server

A new Exchange server has been rolled out:
    KE-EXCH2K3 - Exchange 2003.  All mailboxes and services have been migrated to this server

Exchange services removed from the old server KR_EXCHANGE.

There are then 3 active DC's:
KR_MAIN - Server 2000 DC
KR_EXCHANGE - Server 2000 DC, listed as "Configuration Domain Controller"
KE-DC1 - Server 2003 R2 DC, holds all FSMO roles

I need to demote and then rebuild KR_EXCHANGE for other purposes.  I'd like to change the "Configuration Domain Controller" role to KE-DC1.

My plan for doing so would be to turn off "Automatically Discover Servers" in the Directory Access tab of System Manager.  Remove the entry for KR_EXCHANGE for type=Config.  Add KE-DC1 as the new type=Config server.  Wait for replicaiton.  Demote KR_EXCHANGE to a member server.  Wait for replication.  Then turn "Automatically Discover Servers" back on.

Does that sound like the proper way of doing it?

Thanks

(in reply to sloop)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Contro... - 27.Aug.2007 2:55:16 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

The steps which you are deciding to go is like a workaround. What if that server goes down on fine day no one will have clue on first instance except you.

I would probably follow the following to analyze who is my configuration dc
Event ID 2080 from MSExchangeDSAccess
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316300

From the above i can come to know about which are the dc interacting.

Then i will try to turn off the old exchange 2000 server and let the cache information flush from the entire forest and exchange then it will try to reach the nearest gc or dc which will become a new cofig dc.

For better undertsanding about the 3 roles
go through the below link
Directory service server detection and DSAccess usage
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/250570

(in reply to sloop)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Contro... - 13.Sep.2007 4:40:05 PM   
sloop

I already know which DC is the "Configuration Domain Controller".  It tells you right inside System Manager.

I understand the 3 roles of Domain Controller, Global Catalog, and Configuration Domain Controller.

All 3 Domain Controllers are also Global Catalogues, and all are listed as such in the Directory Access tab in System Manager.

KR_EXCHANGE is also listed as the "Configuration Domain Controller".

Here's my question.  What happens if I demote KR_EXCHANGE using DCPROMO?  Will the "Configuration Domain Controller" role move dynamically to one of the other 2 DC's?

In the past, on other sites I've seen it not do this, and had to go back in afterwards and change it manually.

I'm asking if I can, or should, move this role prior to demoting KR_EXCHANGE so as to avoid any issues.  From your reply it seems as though that yes, it will look for the next closest DC or GC and automatically make one of them the new config DC.

If that's the case, then I can simply move foward with demoting KR_EXCHANGE.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Contro... - 14.Sep.2007 1:08:54 AM   
ismail.mohammed

before demotion of the old server.
During off peak hours..
Shutdown the old server which you want to demote, then restart other 2 dc's & gc's and then all exchange servers.
Run exbpa tool (www.exbpa.com) for health check on exchange server
Monitor it atleast for 2 days then you take the system state back up, if no issue arise simply demote the old server

(in reply to sloop)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Contro... - 14.Sep.2007 10:50:26 AM   
sloop

That makes sense.  I'll schedule it over a weekend after the full backups have run.

I've run the exbpa tool numerous times, pre and post migration to ensure there were no issues.  I'll be sure to run it again after demoting the old DC.

Thanks for the help.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange 2003 and "Configuration Domain Controller" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter