• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 10.Sep.2007 12:32:12 PM   
EvanWasHere

Setup: MS Exchange 2003 with all SP running on Win 2003 Server R2 with all SP.  Server is inhouse.  There are 10 local domain users.  We also have a website running off site, currently at GoDaddy, but moving next week to a colo.  This website, uses Plesk SMTP mail.

Problem: on the website, customers can send emails to an info@domain.com, help@domain.com, etc.  Also, when a order is made on the website, the mail goes to orders@domain.com.  All these mails get sent to the website's SMTP server.  In order to get these emails, I have had to add POP/SMTP email settings to all the user's Outlook inbox's on top of their Exchange email settings.  This causes a problem for the user, when they want to reply back to the mail, they have to remember to change the "send from account" setting.

How do i setup Exchange server to catch these mails instead?  Can I setup the server to accept incoming SMTP mails?  Is this hard, dangerous, etc to do?
Post #: 1
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 11.Sep.2007 2:01:46 PM   
ponzekap2

Evan,

you listed "domain.com" as the email address suffix for the web site emails, what email domains does your exchange server currently accept email for?  Are the domains for some reason different, or does Go Daddy host your email accounts?  If go daddy hosts your email accounts, or if you use a different mail domain on your exchange server, the way to allow exchange to accept emails for other domains is to update the recepient update policy on exchange.  Let me know if you need more help.

(in reply to EvanWasHere)
Post #: 2
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 11.Sep.2007 2:18:33 PM   
EvanWasHere

The actual domain is TheNaturalSapphireCompany.com  Our website is hosted on the Godaddy server (soon to be the colo).  I mapped an A name to the IP address of my office network to access mail.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com since the Exxhnage server is inhouse here. 

The problem with GoDaddy is that it ignores this A name and uses the webserver's Plesk email to send the website's emails out.  I am hoping to solve this problem when i move to the CoLo, but I still need to open up SMTP  on the Exchange server which is what i am asking how to do.

(in reply to ponzekap2)
Post #: 3
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 11.Sep.2007 2:27:03 PM   
ponzekap2

Okay, you need to set up an MX record for email.  So the steps should have been to create a host record (A) that sets up mail.thenaturalsapphire.com to your exchange server's externally accessible IP address.  Then set up the MX records for mail.thenaturalsapphire.com to have the highest priority, usually 10.  I think you did all this because I get that from an NSLOOKUP 

ping mail.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com
Pinging mail.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com [69.38.133.110] with 32 bytes of data
:
Control-C
^C
C:\Documents and Settings\pponzeka>nslookup
Default Server:  main.bdgnet.com
Address:  192.168.3.14
> set type=mx
> thenaturalsapphirecompany.com
Server:  
Address: 
Non-authoritative answer:
thenaturalsapphirecompany.com   MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.thenat
uralsapphirecompany.com
thenaturalsapphirecompany.com   nameserver = ns.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com
mail.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com      internet address =
ns.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com        internet address =

I didnt include the WAN IP's here, but make sure the WAN IP of your exchange server is correct, you can try this with the ping command.  i also checked and could telnet into your server, so your firewall settings are correct.  Now, you are sure you've configured your server to accept email for thenaturalsapphirecompany.com by using Receipient Update Policies right?

Post #: 4
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 11.Sep.2007 2:51:23 PM   
EvanWasHere

The MX and A records are all correct.  The Exchnage server receives all incomming mail perfectly when you send a mail to user@TheNaturalSapphireCompany.com 

The problem exists that the WEBSITE email does not come through.  In other words, when a order is placed the website will send a mail with the order information, or if a user fills in a info request dialog box, all this mail goes through the WEBSITE Plesk email system instead of following the A record to mail.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com out to our Exchange server.  Again, I am hoping that this is only a GoDaddy problem, but I will not know till we switch over to the CoLo next week. 

But in the meantime, I need to open up SMTP on the Exchange server so the website can login to the Exchnage server and send us the email.  This is what i don't know how to do.

Thanks for all your help.

(in reply to ponzekap2)
Post #: 5
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 11.Sep.2007 3:13:07 PM   
ponzekap2

Evan, I think the issue, like you've been saying, is that the web site is not set to use your SMTP server.  It seems that the web site is most likely using its own SMTP server, which still thinks it's authoratative for thenaturalsapphirecompany.com domain, which is causing the problem.  I would contact Go Daddy, and ask them if this can be changed, or if the email hosting can be turned OFF, that way the server wont attempt to deliver email for that domain and should forward it to your server.  Your server's SMTP is open, its just getting the web site to forward email there instead of to go daddy's. 

Other than that, you can use a pop downloader for Exchange server, to download email from that server.  Then this will distribute it through your exchange organization instead of having to set up a POP account with the Exchange accounts on users outlook.

Post #: 6
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 11.Sep.2007 3:50:49 PM   
EvanWasHere

Yes.  Godaddy is clueless.  I have spent over an hour trying to explain this to them, with no results.  That is why I am not setting up Plesk email on the colo server, and hopefully will not have this problem.

Couple questions:
1.) You said my smtp is already open?  What SMTP server info would i give my developer to have the website server use the Exchange server to transmit emails (like login info and server address).

2.) What Pop downloader can i use in the meantime for Exchange?

(in reply to ponzekap2)
Post #: 7
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 11.Sep.2007 4:11:04 PM   
ponzekap2

Well, you can give him the dns name, mail.thenatural...company.com as the SMTP server to use.  This should then have the server forward all email to that server, which means it will get delivered properly.  Your SMTP server is also using anonymous access (which you have to if your SMTP server is accepting emails from the internet) so there isnt a user name and password required.

Here is a pop downloader for free, but I have never used it so I wont be much help with support.

http://www.newfreedownloads.com/find/pop3-downloader.html

Post #: 8
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 18.Sep.2007 2:42:45 PM   
EvanWasHere

Ok.  So, the website move off of GoDaddy was succesful except for the email.  The MX and A records are correct.  If we email ourselves directly to the Info@ourdomain.com (where ourdomain.com = TheNaturalSapphireCompany.com) address, it goes through.  But the website will not relay the mail to the same address for some reason.  There is NO smtp server running on the website itself to cause problems. 

Now I just checked with my developer, and he said that the code the website uses for loging into our Exchange email server is this:
 <network host="thenaturalsapphirecompany.com" port="25" defaultCredentials="true" userName="admin@ourdomain.com" password="****" /> 

This looks like a smtp/pop login.  I am all confused.  I told him there should be no login needed to send emails to our Exchange server.  He is saying there is a need.  But on top of that, even if there was a need, to login to our server, u would just use the username "admin", not admin@ourdomain.com.

How do we fix this.  We are losing orders and info emails every 10 minutes.

< Message edited by EvanWasHere -- 18.Sep.2007 2:56:09 PM >

(in reply to ponzekap2)
Post #: 9
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 18.Sep.2007 11:20:32 PM   
ponzekap2

Evan,

And you have no trouble receiving emails from other people outside your organization?  Since you moved off of Go Daddy are you not even receiving the email messages from the website?  I remember you had seperate POP accounts as well to handle those messages.  Are you using any type of spam protection? Are the messages getting caught in the spam system? 

Post #: 10
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 19.Sep.2007 12:31:02 AM   
EvanWasHere

When we were on GoDaddy, I had to have each user's Outlook have Pop settings.  In fact, since we had forwarded the MX records, the pop setting had to be changed to the actual IP of the GoDaddy server.  The previous name was now directed to the Exchange server.  This was not a good method though, since whenever a user had to reply, they had to change their "send from account".

Now that we are on the colo server, I didn't have any SMTP/POP installed on the IIS and Plesk.  Instead, I wanted the website to send mail using the Exchage server. 

We do have Symantec for Exchange installed on the Exchange server.  I checked in there already to see if there was any mail from the website (there wasn't)

Like I said, I am thinking that the SMTP login I posted above is inaccurate for this setup.  I need to know what to direct my developers to put into the website code (.net using SQL backend) to direct the mail to the Exchange server.

(in reply to ponzekap2)
Post #: 11
RE: Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server - 19.Sep.2007 12:04:42 PM   
EvanWasHere

Ok.  Ponzekap2 was a huge help.  He helped me more off the forum and figured out the exact problem.  Want to post it here in case anyone in the future runs into the problem as well. 

The first issue was that my developer was using the wrong code.  He had  <network host="thenaturalsapphirecompany.com" port="25" defaultCredentials="true" userName="admin@ourdomain.com" password="****" /> 

This is incorrect.  There is no login needed as the Exchange server uses anonymous login.  Also, he is missing the mail part of the domain.  So the correct code is:  <network host="mail.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com" port="25" defaultCredentials="true" /> 

The second part of the code that was wrong was he had a secondary key in the web.config file with:     <add key="Email.Server" value="thenaturalsapphirecompany.com"></add>.  Again, the mail is missing from here.  So, I changed it to:     <add key="Email.Server" value="mail.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com"></add>. 

Emails immediately started pouring in.  Hope this helps somone in the future (I can't be the only helpless administrator out there!)

Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Accepting SMTP mails on my Exchange Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter