• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail server to a new mail server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail server to a new mail server Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 17.Oct.2007 2:09:22 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

please follow this url for troubleshooting of public folder i guess you might already seen this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842273

first you read the above article then before increasing diagnostic logging create one test folder in the public folder which is not getting replicated and monitor the log.

(in reply to matth76)
Post #: 21
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 17.Oct.2007 4:17:18 AM   
matth76

Hi Mohammed

Thank you for your reply.  I have already created test folders and all have replicated successfully.  It only seems to be the existing public folders that have problems replicating 100%.  It seems to be related to date or some kind of change in version at some point in its history - all items are replicated up to a certain date. After this date no more items are replicated.

Looks like quite a bit of an issue with public folder replication.  Is there some kind of date bug around that could cause this or a known Microsoft issue?

Thank you for any help.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 22
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 29.Oct.2007 7:28:54 AM   
matth76

Hi Mohammed

Ok, an update: I decided to move all the items in the original public folder that cannot be replicated, to a new test temporary public folder (which is on the new mail server).  Therefore the temp public folder would now only contain those items that could not be replicated in the original public folder, and the original mail server would then only contain items that were able to be replicated - which I did successfully.

My plan was then to simply move the items in the temp folder (containing those items that could not be replicated) back to the original public folder after the replication had taken place so that folder would then contain everything again. 

However I get the following message when I try to move the items in the temp folder back to the original public folder (which has now been replicated to the new mail server):
"The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied." 

I am logged in as administrator with full rights.  How can access be denied and please can you tell me where I can check the settings to allow me to move the items?  I have gone into the permissions part of the properties of the original public folder to see if there are any "deny" permissions set up.  There are a few - do you know which ones I need to change?

UPDATE: not to worry about my questions above.  I am simply moving everything from the original public folder to the new temporary folder (which is on the new mail server) and then simply deleting the old original folder, once everything has been moved from it.  And then I am renaming the temp folder to the same name as that of the original public folder.

Thank you again for all your help.

< Message edited by matth76 -- 29.Oct.2007 8:27:12 AM >

(in reply to matth76)
Post #: 23
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 30.Oct.2007 12:23:17 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi matt,

Thanks alot for keeping me update about your public folder replications. Whatever we did was just manual way of putting the datab from source to target server. This is good if we have very small envmnt or for time being.
But i am concerned about the big environment or may be in near future we don;t want any sort of  replication issue.

First you confirm that whether your new public folder from source to target server is working fine or not and vice-versa, if it good then it's ok with the current solution if not then then we need to determine what is the cause for this issue.

You said that you have moved, i am crucious to know what about the permissions are they are possessing the same set of permission what they had in the source server please check it.

If you still find replication issue, i am glad to work with you to help out for knowing the root cause.

(in reply to matth76)
Post #: 24
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 30.Oct.2007 5:04:00 AM   
matth76

Hi Mohammed

Everything is working fine with the new public folders.  The problems I was having was only with three public folders but as already mentioned I worked around this by moving everything manually to the new temporary folders and then simply renamed them so they would act as the new public folders.  I suspect the original problem I had with the replication was to do with permissions of some kind.  However I have tested everything with our new public folders and they work properly.

My next plan is simply to remove the old mail server from our network.  All public folders and system folders are on the new mail server.  I have read several sites about decommissioning a mail server but do you have a recommended site that would tell me step by step what to do?

Thank you again for your help.

Post #: 25
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 30.Oct.2007 5:38:01 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi matt,

for this i use to keep this following article as a reference
How to remove the first Exchange Server 2003 computer from the administrative group
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931

Make sure that your mailflow is pointing towards the new mail server and very important is that sitefolderserver should point to the new mail server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284200

Before you could go for decommission remove all replica and wait for replication then shutdown the first server and monitor it for few days and then decomission

(in reply to matth76)
Post #: 26
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 7.Dec.2007 4:32:44 AM   
matth76

Hi Mohammed

I have just shut down our old exchange server and now we cannot receive external emails.  We can send emails fine.  I have made all the changes as per all your attached links but we still cannot receive emails from outside.  Please can you tell me what settings I need to change/check on our Exchange System Manager on the new mail server to ensure the new Exchange server is responsible for delivering external emails to our mailboxes?

Thank you for any help.

Post #: 27
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 7.Dec.2007 4:44:40 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi matt,

What about your MX record to which server it is pointing because for receiving email you need to have proper mx record
nslookup
set=q
mx
(i guess)
if you have any smart host entry for any specific server from the first exchange server does you pointed it to new server?

How is the mailflow topology in your environment when you had your first server in the site?
if you have any doubt or confusion in the incoming mailflow topology you can restart the server back and check your mail connector setting and make sure that new server has the updated the same information

(in reply to matth76)
Post #: 28
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 7.Dec.2007 4:47:16 AM   
matth76

How can I find out about the MX record?  Is there a setting somewhere that I can check on the mail server or is this something that only our mail host will know?

Post #: 29
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 7.Dec.2007 4:57:13 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi matt,

How to Use Nslookup to Verify MX record configuration
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998082.aspx

how is your incoming your mailflow
eg:
internet => Isp provider => routed to your mx record. => Smart host => exchange server.

Any idea about the above topology.

R u getting any non-delivery report when any external user sending mail to your organization.
What about your internal mailflow

If you start your first server does the mailflow works fine?

(in reply to matth76)
Post #: 30
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 7.Dec.2007 5:52:08 AM   
matth76

Our MX record does point to the correct mail server (the new mail server).  We only use a smart host for the following setting found in the "connector" properties for our domain on the new mail server.

"Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart host: mailhost smart host address".

What could the problem be?

I am not certain on the topology but from my understanding (another colleague used to deal with this who has since left) we receive emails through our mail host (or smart host) and all emails are sent via our isp.  However if our MX record is correct then everything should work? 

I have just double checked the siteFolderServer attribute in "First Storage Group" under "Administrative Groups" (using ADSI.msc tool) and this was set to our old server which I have just changed to the new server and restarted the Exchange Information Store.   Could this have prevented email being received if the old mail server was switched off?

Thank you again for your help.

Post #: 31
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 7.Dec.2007 6:08:08 AM   
ismail.mohammed

ok from smart host do you have any ip address as a forwarder to your exchange server if so what is the ip address in other word that forwarder ip address is of your first server?

(in reply to matth76)
Post #: 32
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 7.Dec.2007 6:40:12 AM   
matth76

Hi Mohammed

I have confirmed that all inbound mail comes via our mail host and gets forwarded to our external public IP address for our network.  This will then get forwarded to our internal Exchange server.  I am just checking with my colleague that the firewall forwards the inbound traffic on this IP to the correct mail server IP and not the old mail server.

All outbound mail gets forwarded to a smart host cluster, which works fine.

Post #: 33
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 7.Dec.2007 6:48:16 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi matt,

thanks for sharing your info

the reason i am concern about the smart host is
outgoing mail flow : will contact your external dns serve and mailflow happen which is happening in your case
incoming mail flow : for incoming mailflow you must have mx record.

most of the customer : they will keep an smart host server who will help them to filter the good and bad mails. like in exchange server they will create a connector and in that they will add the ip address of smart host server to forward and in smart host server they will have the exchange 2003 server ip address.

Just confirm that for incoming mailflow your new server is detected in that smart host server

(in reply to matth76)
Post #: 34
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 11.Dec.2007 9:51:40 AM   
matth76

Hi Mohammed

I have finally fixed the issue of receiving external email.  The problem lied in the SMTP virtual server settings on the Exchange system manager. I simply compared the settings of the older server to the new one and made sure they were the same.  The issue was in the Connection and Relay section in the Access tab of the properties.

Thanks for your help with all this.

Post #: 35
RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail ser... - 11.Dec.2007 2:56:43 PM   
ismail.mohammed

hey matt,
it is good to hear that finally you got the resolution
and thanks for sharing the information.

(in reply to matth76)
Post #: 36

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> RE: Re-creating/copying public folder from old mail server to a new mail server Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter