• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Antivirus software for Exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Server Security >> Antivirus software for Exchange Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Antivirus software for Exchange - 12.Sep.2007 10:26:47 PM   
sharma.satyajeet

Dear All,

My Network consist of two front-end servers and 12 Backend exchange servers. I have deployed Symantec Brightmail AntiSpam on the two front-end servers.
Now is it necessary to install Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft exchange on my Backend servers?

If yes then why?
If no then why?

Kindly reply whoever know this because I have to give an explanation to my IT Manager. For me the answer will be no because symantec mail security will unnecessary put some processing load on my exchange servers and also will result in mails delivering little late to the end user.

Post #: 1
RE: Antivirus software for Exchange - 12.Sep.2007 10:44:25 PM   
uemurad

There is not one answer to fit every situation.  It all depends upon how paranoid you choose to be.  Probably leaning towards the more extreme end of things, I use an external gateway service that has spam and virus protection.  From there my mail comes to an internal mail gateway application that has virus protection and some spam capabilities.  Then it comes to my Exchange servers with an AntiVirus add-in.  Finally, all of my users have AntiVirus programs on their workstations.  All of the AV products are from different manufacturers.  My rationale is that it increases the likelihood that things will get caught.  My management feels the same way, so I'm not having to continually justify the architecture.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to sharma.satyajeet)
Post #: 2
RE: Antivirus software for Exchange - 12.Sep.2007 11:26:41 PM   
sharma.satyajeet

What do you mean by Anti virus Add in?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Antivirus software for Exchange - 13.Sep.2007 12:14:49 AM   
uemurad

A poor choice of words - I was trying not to mention specific products.  In that particular case however, it's Trend Micro's ScanMail.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 4
RE: Antivirus software for Exchange - 8.Oct.2007 3:46:47 AM   
premnairdxb

Hi guys
I'm using GFI Mail security on the server side, which is good and no hastle on configuration. on the client side we have Mcafee Antivirus and Antispyware.
Take a look at this product http://gfi.com

Prem Nair
Dubai, UAE

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: Antivirus software for Exchange - 8.Oct.2007 6:46:39 AM   
zinno

* I still have 1 question left, how do u filter internal employee spam (.pps .avi)?
Since they connect directly to the back-end server there is no filter there.

For the rest, i had the same question, and was about to post it so ... it seems i already answered my own question correctly. :)

I was wondering, what is the most/prefered setup when u have a front-end back-end solution? Lets say u wanted to use something like mailmarshal smtp.

setup
mailmarshall smtp -> exchange front-end servers -> exchange back-end servers
mailmarshall smtp array port 25 front-end server port 97 -> back-end servers

What about AV on the mailbox store? What about internal outlook connections to the internal back-end server? Seems u need another back-end product like trendmicro scanmail to protect your mailbox store?

or is there a better/other solutions/setups?

With another solution like CA on the clients, i seem to have the same setup as the first replier :)

< Message edited by zinno -- 8.Oct.2007 6:55:51 AM >

(in reply to premnairdxb)
Post #: 6
RE: Antivirus software for Exchange - 28.Oct.2007 3:50:17 PM   
joggie721

sharma.satyajeet

I think that the issue here is not really how you set things up because in the thread there are all good ideas,  the best of which is to do all the dirty work out side your network in the DMZ  then have checks at each level from smtp/front end exchange servers to the backend and on the workstation clients.  Any software product that has info store scaning like GFI or other products then any internal email that is sent will pass through this scan.  The real issue is how do you present this plan to your IT Manager so that it meets the requirements.  All you can do is give him the good better best approach.  And this usually has both protection level and cost levels associated with them. 

You already have a product to scan emails so I would only address the gaps you see based on the solutions that the thread has provided.    Another note is ease of management.  the more products you have to support the more time you spend with this that pulls you away from other duties.

Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Server Security >> Antivirus software for Exchange Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter