• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA goes down with no errors

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA goes down with no errors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA goes down with no errors - 21.Sep.2007 10:18:12 AM   
DocFinity

My OWA site has been going down about once a week.  Our company website is also on the exchange server and it goes down as well,  so IIS is serving no pages at all.
Previously the only way to bring it back up was to reboot the server.  It went down this morning and I went through and restarted many services one by one.  Finally when I restarted exchange system attendant,  which also restarts mta stacks and the information store  the website and OWA came back up.   Keep in mind email is functioning just fine the whole time,  its just anything web related that is not working.  There are no errors in event viewer and the IIS logs just stop,  no errors.   I appreciate any ideas on this issue.  Thank you.
Phil
Post #: 1
RE: OWA goes down with no errors - 21.Sep.2007 1:57:41 PM   
Yorgy

Hello Phil--

If not seperate; have you tried seperating the app pools from your site and owa? Sometimes this will cause a hang if too many sites are in the same pool, it can also get corrupted depending how busy it may be from users/customers...

HIH
Yorgy

Life is a zoo in a jungle!

(in reply to DocFinity)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA goes down with no errors - 24.Sep.2007 9:36:24 AM   
DocFinity

Hey Yorgy,
I have not done this before.  Right now I have a few application pools, DefaultappPool, exchangeapplicationpool, exchangemobilebrowseapplicationpool, and smsmseapppool (symantec antivirus)  .  These were all created automatically during install.   I have 2 websites,  default website and symantec mail security for microsoft exchange.  default website uses the defaultapplicationpool,  and symantec uses the smsmseapppool.  Im not sure what to separate at this point.  Thanks again.
Phil

(in reply to Yorgy)
Post #: 3
RE: OWA goes down with no errors - 24.Sep.2007 9:55:02 AM   
Yorgy

Hmmm...

Here are a couple of links that may be of help, somewhat old but good points.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184321

http://www.iisfaq.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2557

Also, you may want to try (if not already) to re-register the asp.dll file to see if this helps.

HIH
Yorgy

(in reply to DocFinity)
Post #: 4
RE: OWA goes down with no errors - 24.Sep.2007 11:00:42 AM   
DocFinity

Thanks for the reply and links.  The one thing I dont get is... everything works fine when I restart those 3 exchange services,  not even IIS related.  

(in reply to Yorgy)
Post #: 5
RE: OWA goes down with no errors - 24.Sep.2007 1:44:42 PM   
Yorgy

Interesting...

Can you please provide some detail to some of the questions listed below?

1. Anything in the Event Viewer pertaining to the date/time of this occurrance?
2. In IIS, are you showing website stopped or still active assuming its working?
3. Are you running SP 2 for exchange and all service packs on your Server?
4. When did this start? after an SP install or from the beginning of deployment?
5. Do you have logging enabled in IIS for the site?, can you paste logs after the
   time this happens?

You mentioned that restarting the services temporarily solves this problem, does email flow work through Exchange? inbound/outbound?

**This may sound a bit off the wall; but did you run an antispyware program on that Server, to see if anything may be trickling causing hickups?

HIH
Yorgy

(in reply to DocFinity)
Post #: 6
RE: OWA goes down with no errors - 24.Sep.2007 2:17:55 PM   
DocFinity

Hey Yorgy,
1.  there is nothing in the event viewer,  i have checked each time it happens.
2. website is shown as running,  it just dont serve any pages
3. Yes
4. I recently moved from exchange2000/win2000 to exchange2003/win2003  and it started happening a few weeks after.
5.  Yes logging is enable and under the w3svc1 logs and the log file for that day you can see where it stops serving pages because nothing is logged.
6. Yes email inbound/outbound is working just fine during this issue,  but website and OWA do not.  But restarting the 3 exchange services fixes the issue.
7. Yes Im currently running trend-micro and it has not reported anything.
Thanks again.

(in reply to Yorgy)
Post #: 7
RE: OWA goes down with no errors - 26.Sep.2007 9:04:57 AM   
platoo

Hi,
i also encounter sma e prob. suddently i figure that OWA users can't view mails. initially i do restart the system but i fgured that restaring Systems Attendant solves the issue some time.
Secondly, figured that outlook loss connection with mail servers suddenly. il have to restart System Attendant or thr server to resolve.
What could be the cause.

(in reply to DocFinity)
Post #: 8
RE: OWA goes down with no errors - 26.Sep.2007 9:43:26 AM   
DocFinity

Well this happened for me again this morning.  However today I noticed that a Trend Micro process was using 600mb of memory.  I could not end the process and it did not end when I stopped all trend micro services.  So I now have a case open with them,  this could definitely be a cause.   Restarting system attendant did not help this time either. 

(in reply to platoo)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA goes down with no errors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter