• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Is it possible to bypass the owa login. and edit the OWA interface

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Outlook Web Access >> Is it possible to bypass the owa login. and edit the OWA interface Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it possible to bypass the owa login. and edit the OW... - 11.Oct.2007 12:55:24 PM   
ptrout

I am a total OWA noob.  That stated I am just exploring the feasibility of this project.

Its for personal reasons, so security is not an issue.

I have setup a exchanger mail server for my extended family, mainly ease of use.  However the older folks have jump on and want to use this as well. 

However they are not computer savvy and are not capable of using OWA or even outlook very well.  I was looking at the possibility of creating a custom web page file, that would act as a front end for the OWA.

Would it be possible to create say a USB pen drive that would open what ever default browser on client computer, and only display the inbox for the user ?  I would have to bypass login, but I was told that is possible with proper certificate on the USB key.

The second part would be parsing the OWA web gui, and only display the inbox, so they could not access or do anything more than click on a email and read it.  I would handle all the other function like clear all read emails after 30 days or something.

Would I have to hack the script that OWA generates for the gui like the custom login tutorial.

Sorry just looking for help and to assess if this is worth trying or just too difficult to attempt and should not try.

Thank you for any help or guidance
Post #: 1
RE: Is it possible to bypass the owa login. and edit th... - 12.Oct.2007 8:40:45 AM   
leederbyshire

You can restrict the features of OWA by using a feature known as 'segmentation'.  Here's the E2003 version:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833340

I've no idea about the USB pen drive thing.  You may be able to get it to autorun a shortcut to http://servername/exchange .  If you configure OWA to use Integrated Authentication, and they are already logged into the domain, then it will go straight into the mailbox.

Lee.

Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com

(in reply to ptrout)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it possible to bypass the owa login. and edit th... - 12.Oct.2007 9:49:37 AM   
ptrout

Thank you very much leederbyshire.  The segmentation feature is exactly what I was looking for.   Still have to work out the auto login part.  I will do more research into domain login.  The reason for the usb key is only computer she has access to is a shared one at the senior center.  I was reading about being able to lower the security and have the ability to address server within the URL

http://owa.aaa.com/exchange/susan/

again thsnk you for the help, really really appreciate it

(in reply to leederbyshire)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Outlook Web Access >> Is it possible to bypass the owa login. and edit the OWA interface Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter