• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Deleting Personal Folders but Backups not Shrinking

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Deleting Personal Folders but Backups not Shrinking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Deleting Personal Folders but Backups not Shrinking - 30.Oct.2007 5:17:08 PM   
dawgbone

Trying to keep it short and sweet, my company wheels and deals with an enormous amounts of email. In which was mainly ran out of mail enabled PF's. As email increased, we started noticing weird things happening from Exchange. And even after following MS's KB to a healthy Exchange Server, we still experienced weird quirks. So we sought after a good archive solution to free up exchange, yet still have search functionality, with the hopes of importing it to SQL. And decided on GFI's nifty achiever. In which did in fact solve almost all of the weird issues we were having.
Once we manage to get everything archived to SQL, we went back to delete all bulky mail enabled PF's. Strange thing is, is that our backups(NTBackup) has not shrunk. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it grew. I want to say that when I did the backup before deleting the PF's the backup was around 22GB. Now, after deleting those PF, and about 6 months later, it's at 30GB. Currently we are only backing up our private store, which consist of 21 mailboxes in which is nowhere near 30gigs as per System Manager.
Did those PF's really get deleted? Why would my backup be so big? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Deleting Personal Folders but Backups not Shrinking - 30.Oct.2007 10:48:56 PM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

I have one quick question after deleting the PF, have you ran eseutil /d (offline Defragmentation) if not then you have to do it because when you delete any data in the exchange database it will create a whitespace and inorder to recover the whitespace you need to run offline defragmentation.

(in reply to dawgbone)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Deleting Personal Folders but Backups not Shrinking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter