• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Disable Public Folders access for certain users

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Disable Public Folders access for certain users Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disable Public Folders access for certain users - 3.Nov.2007 7:33:01 PM   
RnR

Hi all,

I need to disable the public folder access in general for a set of users e.g. people having accounts in the system but not within the organization.

Any ideas?

Thank you

< Message edited by RnR -- 3.Nov.2007 7:36:00 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Disable Public Folders access for certain users - 4.Nov.2007 12:46:19 AM   
joggie721

RnR,

Check this site out  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996122.aspx#UsingPFPermissions
From what you told me you need to disable some pub folders or at least hide them.  What I think you want are Client permissions.  It is very simple to set them,, there are several "roles" that come with different perm levels. 

I suggest you create a test folder and work with it untill you get the permissions set that you want.  Then apply them to the production folders.

(in reply to RnR)
Post #: 2
RE: Disable Public Folders access for certain users - 7.Nov.2007 12:14:42 PM   
RnR

Thank you for your suggestion joggie721

My external acounts are located in a structure of Organizational Units.

I was hoping that it would be possible to apply some policy usnig this structure rather than creating additional security groups manualy and manualy include every new account into groups. Omition of a manual operation is a security risk.

I can move these mailboxes to a separate store or even Storage Group, I could cretae an additional (non-mapi) Public Store etc...

Finally I would also be happy if these accounts don't even have "Public folders" button in OWA and are not allowed to see any public folder structure in Outlook.

Obviously I don't have great skills in administering W2k3 and Exchange ...

Can anyone suggest a neat solution?

Thanks in advance.

(in reply to joggie721)
Post #: 3
RE: Disable Public Folders access for certain users - 15.Nov.2007 4:55:30 PM   
Statikd

Personally, if all of the accounts are in one OU in AD, I would create a security group in AD, add all of the user's that you want to deny public folder access.

From there, go into ESM, Administrative Groups -> Organization -> Folders -> Public Folders.  Right click on Public Folders -> Properties -> Security Tab.  Add the security group created in AD and set their permissions to deny.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

(in reply to RnR)
Post #: 4
RE: Disable Public Folders access for certain users - 5.Nov.2008 3:33:26 PM   
bieb3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Statikd

Personally, if all of the accounts are in one OU in AD, I would create a security group in AD, add all of the user's that you want to deny public folder access.

From there, go into ESM, Administrative Groups -> Organization -> Folders -> Public Folders.  Right click on Public Folders -> Properties -> Security Tab.  Add the security group created in AD and set their permissions to deny.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I am essentially looking to deny access to the entire public folder store for those members of the security group.  I followed these instructions and the users in the security group still have access, is there something else I need to do?  In addition to the instructions supplied above I have also denied access on the 'Security' tab of the public folder store on the server itself (i.e. Administrative Groups -> Organization -> Servers -> ServerName -> First Storage Group -> Public Folder Store -> Properties -> Security Tab).  I'm at a loss, are there any other suggestions?

(in reply to Statikd)
Post #: 5
RE: Disable Public Folders access for certain users - 28.Feb.2010 4:28:40 AM   
se5a

Sorry to bump up such an old topic, but I'm trying to do almost exactly the same thing.

from what I understood from the technet article linked to by joggie, Statikd's suggestion is NOT what you want to do.

playing around a bit, it seems I can add a user to the client permissions in a folder within the public folders, but cannot do client permissions to the "public folders" itself.
also I can only add a group to these client permissions if the group itself is mail enabled.

so I've got two options:
1 - add each user to each of the folders within the public folders tree,
set them to none,
and uncheck visible.

2 - create an exchange email address for the security group these users are in,
add the group to each of the folders within the public folders tree,
set it to none,
uncheck visible.

does that sound right?
I don't really want to give the group an mail address though, it seems unnecessary.

(in reply to bieb3)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Disable Public Folders access for certain users Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter