• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Server keeps on rebooting after security patch installation(kb943460)

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange Server keeps on rebooting after security patch installation(kb943460) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Server keeps on rebooting after security patch... - 16.Nov.2007 3:21:50 PM   
ypandya

Anyone having Exchange Server issue after last Server 2003 Security Patch install on last Tuesday (KB943460)?  I have Exchange 2003 on Server 2003.  It was fine until yesterday when I installed the security update for server 2003 (KB943460).  After the patch, Exchange keeps on rebooting throughout the day.  There is no fix time on when it reboots.  It rebooted atleast 5-8 time yesterday.  It also takes good 10-15 minutes when it goes into reboot cycle to come back up versus 1-2 minutes on regular reboot.  Anyone has any clue/idea/fix on it?  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance guys!
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange Server keeps on rebooting after security p... - 16.Nov.2007 3:28:55 PM   
a.grogan

Hiya chap, it would seem that you have a couple options;

1. Remove the update
2. The MSO advisory suggests (here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943460)

Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey, where Application_name is the name of the application that you want to exempt:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Application_name
Note You may have to create the Application_name subkey. To do this, follow these steps:

a.
On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.

b.
Type a name for the Application subkey, and then press ENTER.

Note The name for the Application subkey must match the name of the executable file for the application. The name must also include the three-letter extension of the executable file for the application. For example, Microsoft Office Excel uses the following excel.exe subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\store.exe

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

Type AllowShellExecHandleCIFFailure for the name of the DWORD value, and then press ENTER.

Right-click AllowShellExecHandleCIFFailure, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

Exit Registry Editor.
(the actual KB article give excel.exe as an example)

You will need to add a key for all Exchange Services (for example SA,MTA) that appear in the services manager.

-or-

Apply the fix on your Exchange server under the secton FOR ADMINISTRATORS

Then see how you get on.

Cheers

A

< Message edited by a.grogan -- 16.Nov.2007 3:30:52 PM >

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to ypandya)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange Server keeps on rebooting after security patch installation(kb943460) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter