• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 4:22:45 PM   
uemurad

My suspicion is that Spam Filters are categorizing messages from Hotmail as Spam.  Here's an interesting test I just performed.

I sent myself a message from my Hotmail account, and it was trapped by my gateway (I use Postini) as Spam.  I sent a message from Yahoo, carefully entering the exact same subject line and body text and it was delivered successfully.  I sent the same message again from Gmail, and it was delivered successfully as well.

For those of you experiencing the issue, try performing the same test and report back here.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to josh81)
Post #: 21
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 4:31:25 PM   
TCARobb

I just responded to you about this via PM, but I wanted to put the info on this thread publically too.

The only spam protection my server has is the Sonicwall Email Security device. I confirmed that the Sonicwall is not receiving anything from hotmail. In fact, just to make sure that the security device wasn't causing the issue I temporarily took it out of the way, and had SMTP traffic go directly to my Exchange server. Even then i was not receiving hotmail messages.

I do see some strange firewall activity which appears to be coming from a Microsoft IP address, where it's dropping UDP traffic, but shouldn't all the traffic from hotmail be coming across port 25?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 22
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 4:52:03 PM   
uemurad

Yes.  Hotmail delivers via the standard TCP 25 (SMTP). 

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 23
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 5:40:31 PM   
Silver_Bullet

It seems to be working here now.

(in reply to josh81)
Post #: 24
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 6:12:13 PM   
TCARobb

Hopefully this means they're making some progress.

Silver, have you tried emailing your Exchange account from multiple hotmail addresses, or just from one? Another user mentioned that he could do it from one, but not another.

If you'd like me to try to email you from hotmail go ahead and PM me your address

(in reply to Silver_Bullet)
Post #: 25
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 6:14:18 PM   
mazhaddad

Now it is not working again.  I am just going to wait this out till Hotmail figures out what they are doing.

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 26
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 6:23:22 PM   
Silver_Bullet

Yes, we verified the failure with multiple hotmail accounts. The company that originally reported it to me is the one I just tested. I have also tested others domains and they appear to be working as well. Whereas before they were not.

I asked them to test it themselves but they are gone for the day and may not hear back from them until tomorrow.

I definitely think the problem lies in hotmail's hands.

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 27
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 7:36:02 PM   
artmotion

We can also verifie that we have multiple domains with this issue.

We have contacted Microsoft 24 hours ago.. still waiting for a respond from them

Thank you for your notification. The MSN Service Operations Center has opened ticket number 2882744 for investigation into this issue.

(in reply to Silver_Bullet)
Post #: 28
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 9:00:00 PM   
josh81

Update: At the moment hotmail emails are still not getting through to people in the organization.

I don't think it has anything to do with spam filters/firewall in our organization.

There were no indications of any packets from hotmail being dropped or rejected on the firewall, nor did there seem to be any sign of the exchange server having got anything, let alone done anything with what it might have got, from hotmail.

Some days ago, the firewall was turned off, and the RBL filter disabled, for a period just to see if it made a difference - it didn't; same problem and same error message returned.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 29
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 10:08:13 PM   
lvbanker

I am having this same issue.  I have tried from 3 different hotmail accounts to numerous users inside my company without success.  This has been happening since at least Sunday.  I have been watching the comments here to see if anyone has come up with anything.  I also opened a ticket with Microsoft yesterday morning and have not heard back from them.  I have a second domain on my exchange server and yesterday I successfully sent one of those users an email from hotmail, while emails to the other domain were failing, so that rules out any problems on my end as far as I am concerned. 

(in reply to mazhaddad)
Post #: 30
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 28.Nov.2007 4:19:54 AM   
dannyboy500

I too have been having this same problem for about a week now.  I have verified that this is occuring from multiple hotmail accounts, however it is only happening on one of my domains (same mailserver).  I have verified that none of my domains are on any type of blocking list.  As far as I can tell, the only domain we cannot receive mail from is hotmail.com (5.50 error).  We can however, send mail to hotmail accounts no problem!

(in reply to mazhaddad)
Post #: 31
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 28.Nov.2007 11:11:35 AM   
TCARobb

I submitted a help ticket to Hotmail yesterday, and got a response from them this morning. It was just a generic reply, but at least someone should be reading my reply to them.

I included links to various threads on this topic, including this one. Hopefully it will get to the right hands at Hotmail. I will update this thread if/when they reply to me with any useful information. If you folks with MS tickets open hear back, please do the same.

Thanks.

(in reply to dannyboy500)
Post #: 32
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 28.Nov.2007 1:16:02 PM   
adam99

My response from Microsoft:

Hello Adam,
Thank you for writing to Windows Live Hotmail Technical Support. My name is Ryan and I apologize for the delay in answering your e-mail. We appreciate your patience as we handle every customer request as quickly as possible. I understand that your company is unable to receive messages from Windows Live Hotmail and Sympatico users. I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you and I know how important it is to have your concern addressed immediately.
In order to help you with your issue, please advise your administrator to visit our Postmaster site at:
http://postmaster.hotmail.com/Troubleshooting.aspx
This site provides troubleshooting information to those who are having issues sending e-mail messages to Hotmail. If the administrator of your e-mail provider needs further assistance with their e-mail delivery issues, they will have to click on the second "here" link under "Sender services, tools, and issue submission" or submit the necessary information at:
http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts 
We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Live Hotmail.
Sincerely,
Ryan E.
Windows Live Hotmail Technical Support

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 33
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 28.Nov.2007 1:18:20 PM   
SergioQ

I just wanted to throw in my two cents here.  This same situation was happening to me as well.  My data center said they couldn't the problem on their end and I believe them.

The main reason being that I have two domains on my dedicated server, and it's behind "my" firewall; www.WarpTV.com and www.zReturn.com.  Emails to Sergio@ the former went through, but not to Sergio@ the latter.

The last time I successfully received an email from someone (to my zReturn domain) was 11/23, so the problem was very recent.

My data center said they have no actual contact info for MSN/Hotmail's postmaster.  So yesterday I sent the same email to every variation of postmaster@ for microsoft I could think of.  That includes emails to their abuse@ emails just in the hopes they would forward it.

Yesterday I even opened up a ticket under a hotmail email account cause that seems to be the only way to contact the postmaster.  As of today, not even a generic reply.

This morning I tried and it still failed.  Then I tried emailing someone other than "sergio".  I sent it to "sales" and it worked.  Then I sent it and "unknown" name and it worked. 

Then I emailed it "sergio" and it worked, and still does!

I have zero idea what happened, what fixed it, etc.

But am a strict believer that you need to contribute all that you can just in case someone recognizes something somwhere down the line.

Best of luck

Sergio

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 34
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 28.Nov.2007 2:56:43 PM   
TCARobb

Still no progress for me. I've tried emailing numerous addresses at my domain, including a couple of distribution groups, but all have got the bounce backs. I've tried it from several different hotmail accounts, same issue each time.

I believe it's Microsoft's problem, but they aren't talking. There's a thread going on here on the MS forums, maybe you guys should come make some noise there, so they know it's more than just a couple people with this problem.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2475584&SiteID=17&mode=1

(in reply to SergioQ)
Post #: 35
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 28.Nov.2007 3:07:45 PM   
SergioQ

done!

quote:

ORIGINAL: TCARobb

There's a thread going on here on the MS forums, maybe you guys should come make some noise there, so they know it's more than just a couple people with this problem.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2475584&SiteID=17&mode=1

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 36
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 28.Nov.2007 6:30:41 PM   
lvbanker

Here was my canned response from Microsoft tech support.  I just forwarded them the text of the bounce message, we'll see what's next.

Thank you for writing to Windows Live Hotmail Technical Support. My name is Benji and I understand that you cannot send a message to your office e-mail address from your XXX@hotmail.com account because of a bounce message although you can send a message from your other e-mail accounts. I can only imagine how inconvenient this may be for you and I understand how important it is to resolve your concern as soon as possible.
Whenever you send e-mail and you are taken to the sent message confirmation page, it means that your e-mail has been successfully transmitted from the Windows Live Hotmail server to the server that stores your recipient's e-mail account. If your recipient did not receive your message, I suggest that you wait for at least 24 hours and check if you will receive a bounce message. If you do not receive a bounce message in less than 24 hours, the problem could be due to any of the following scenarios:

- The recipient has an account setting that might be preventing receipt of your message
- The recipient's e-mail server is busy and is not accepting requests to send e-mail.
- The recipient's domain is blocking the Windows Live Hotmail domain
- The recipient's domain or Internet Service Provider (ISP) might have subscribed to a service that blocks Hotmail IP addresses 
In order for us to fully investigate on this issue, we suggest that you do the following:

1. Send test messages to your recipient at different times of the day. This is to eliminate the possibility of Internet traffic affecting delivery of your messages.
2. Try sending new messages. If you have previously received a message from your recipient, try replying to that message and have your recipient check if he would be able to receive your e-mail.
3. Contact the administrator of the domain to which you cannot send e-mail. The domain appears after the @ symbol in the recipient's e-mail address. The domain may be blocking all incoming e-mail messages, or the incoming e-mail server may be too busy to receive new requests. 

If you receive a bounce message, please provide us a copy of it with the error messages. This would help us investigate your issue further. Here are the steps on how to extract the error message inside a bounce message:

1. Open the bounce message you have received
2. Click the "details00000.txt" (or similar file) attachment that you will see in the header
3. Click the "Save" button in the "File Download" dialogue box
4. Choose a location for the file then save it
5. Open the file you have downloaded
6. Copy the contents in your reply to this message
We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Live Hotmail.

Sincerely,

Benji O.
Windows Live Hotmail Technical Support

(in reply to SergioQ)
Post #: 37
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 29.Nov.2007 3:12:02 AM   
oscarhc

Hello,

quote:

ORIGINAL: lvbanker
Here was my canned response from Microsoft tech support.  I just forwarded them the text of the bounce message, we'll see what's next.

Did you fill a form in the postmaster site of windows live ? If so, could you please post the link ?

I filled a form but got an answer as if I was not able to send messages  to @hotmail addresses.

Thanks.

Oscar.

(in reply to lvbanker)
Post #: 38
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 29.Nov.2007 4:55:47 AM   
dannyboy500

Still having this problem, so I ran the Troubleshooting Assistant on MS Exchange 2003 and used my hotmail email address to test routing issues and there were none at all.  My Exchange server gladly accepts email from hotmail and delivers it to my inbox.

However, If I send an email from hotmail to an invalid email address at my organization, I get a "mailbox unavailable" error in hotmail:Action: failed
Status: 5.5.0, Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

When I send an email to a valid email address, I get the :Action: failed, Status: 5.5.0
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 Transaction Failed (650058837:169:-2147467259)

This would indicate that the messages are hitting my firewall and possibly my mailserver, but are being denied for some reason.  I don't have any anti-spam solution other than the Microsoft intelligent message filter and the RBL's that we are using (spamcop, spamhaus etc.)

< Message edited by dannyboy500 -- 29.Nov.2007 10:04:02 AM >

(in reply to oscarhc)
Post #: 39
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 29.Nov.2007 11:08:13 AM   
cappper

Like most of you, probably, I am still looking for the answer to this.  If you Google the error code you will find others with the same issue as us which is no surprise.
Although some have said that Hotmail has been blacklisted somewhere and that has caused the problem, but it is unclear at the moment.  Anyone have any ideas of the validity of this?

(in reply to dannyboy500)
Post #: 40

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter