• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Some email being held until server reboots

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Some email being held until server reboots Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some email being held until server reboots - 28.Nov.2007 3:23:45 PM   
ooarashi

I've run into a rather quirky problem and I'm hoping someone here can help me track it down.

We have Exchange Server 2003 with all of the latest service packs.  We have a Barracuda Spam Firewall running the latest firmware.  We also have Trend Micro Office Scan suite and GFI MailEssentials running on the Exchange server.

About 2 weeks ago a problem cropped up where email sent from an off-site user was received but did not get delivered.  There wasn't an error or bounce or non-delivery message, it just seemed to disappear.  I was able to verify receipt of the email on our Barracuda device but Exchange is a bit of a black-box to me right now.  I tried to send myself an email from a test account via web outlook.  It appeared to send successfully, but I did not receive it.  I looked at the event logs but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  I then rebooted the Exchange server and the queued emails apparently began to be delivered.

Today I discovered that some messages, both inbound and outbound, were again being held somewhere indefinitely until the server was rebooted.  This problem seems to occur more often with email to and from users outside our domain.  The strange part is that it doesn't happen with all Internet email or even all email from a specific domain.  It seems to be hit and miss.

I am certain the emails are being help up on our Exchange server.  Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of Exchange and don't really know how to monitor it on a technical level.

Please point me in the right direction to get started.

Thanks.

< Message edited by ooarashi -- 28.Nov.2007 3:25:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Some email being held until server reboots - 4.Dec.2007 12:10:47 PM   
ooarashi

Hello,
I'm still having this problem and really have no idea how to track it down.  I need some help please.

(in reply to ooarashi)
Post #: 2
RE: Some email being held until server reboots - 15.Dec.2007 11:32:48 AM   
uemurad

Have you determined whether the message is being delayed by the Barracuda-to-Exchange message transfer or Exchange-to-user-mailbox?  I'm not familiar with Barracuda's feature set - can you see whether it successfully forwards the message to Exchange immediately, or not until you've rebooted Exchange?

You can search for the message on the Exchange server by using the Message Tracking tool in the Exchange System Manager (ESM).  That will tell you whether Exchange has accepted the message and what has been done.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to ooarashi)
Post #: 3
RE: Some email being held until server reboots - 29.Oct.2011 12:21:34 AM   
Prashant Masodkar

Looking at the description, it appears that, we are not able to see incoming emails in the queue viewer & even these emails are not delivered to the mailboxes. And the emails are delivered after you restart the SMTP Service or reboot the server.

Possible Cause:

1 Incomfing SMTP Connections to the server are hung
2 Antivirus/Anti Spam is working on these emails at the time an SMTP service is trying to process them.
4 Necessary Folders on Exchange server are not excluded by AV scanning (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823166)
5 There is a logical corruption in the database (isinteg.exe)

Workaround:

1 Enable "NCSA Common Log File Format" on the SMTP Virtual Server>Properties>General Tab - Enable Logging. This will help you find the time stamp for incoming emails as when an email arrived on exchange server.

2 Go to Program Files\GFI\ and run Stop_snk, this will unhook the sinks of GFI from SMTP service & help you isolate GFI

3 Go to regedit.exe navigate to HKLM\HKEY_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MsExchangeTransport\Diagnostics, Modify "Exchange Store Driver" & "NTFS Store Driver" to 7 (Hex) and restart an SMTP service for changes to take effect

4 Go to event viewer\app logs & look for Event ID 327 (Warning), if you see this event then go for removing logical corruption using isinteg.exe (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182081)

5 You may also use ExchangeMetabaseChecker.msi tool to find the third party sinks that are attached with an SMTP service

6 If the issue takes place only for a few mailboxes, you may prefer to move these mailboxes to a different mailbox store, that will remove any corruption in the mailboxes

7 If all this doesn't work for you, get back to me making sure you have excluded necessary folders from AV scanning

Thanking you,
Prashant Masodkar
Tech Consultant MS Exchange

(in reply to ooarashi)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Some email being held until server reboots Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter