• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

New Exchange 2007 setup

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> New Exchange 2007 setup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Exchange 2007 setup - 3.Dec.2007 5:02:40 AM   
GordonCopestake

Hi Folks,
we currently have an old Exchange 2000 mail server that is groaning under the weight of it's age. We are looking to create a new setup based on 2007 and are a little confused about all the server roles that seem to be needed.

We have only a few specs: Based on 5 years growth we are looking at:
Max 500 users 1Gb max mailbox per user
2 sites with replication/redundancy
access via Outlook, webmail and windows mobile
ability for any one site machine room to die and the other site pick up the load

Is such a setup possible and how many boxes would be needed? From my (poor) understanding of the way Exchange 2007 works we need 4 boxes per site for Mailbox Server, Hub Server, Client Access Server and Edge Server.

What spec would people recommend these boxes take? Is there a set of recommendations per user or similar? How (if?) does the replication work if a site fails?

Thanks for any pointers
Post #: 1
RE: New Exchange 2007 setup - 3.Dec.2007 6:23:21 AM   
rishishah

Wow a load of questions...

Exchange 2007 SP1 will be able to do "Geographical Replication" - in the way you describe it and you want it. The Exchange SCR is very good for this.

Look at the Exchange SP1 new disaster recovery options, they are great and work very well. You dont mention what your maximum SLA, but Exchange 2007 is very ressilient (http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/11/26/447571.aspx).  

Exchange 2007 should be deployed on 64 Bit hardware and hence you can now support large memory.

Exchange produces 1MB log file and as soon as one is produced it will ship it across to the replica server. Hence you need to first think about how many log files you will create (depending on the usage of your users http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/11/30/447640.aspx) and than ensure you have enough bandwidth between sites to replicate all the log files across.

On the Mailbox server on your Main site go for a beefy box as you are looking at a mailstroe of atleast 500GB. Now its not the space but the number of disks you can throw at the Mail role... also best practice suggests you should have multiple storage groups rather than just one single 500G storage group. Ensure all your Exchange databases are on Raid 10 (do not go with Raid 5 at all). You will also need a seperate set of Raid disks for your Database Log files (atleast raid 1, but raid 10 best again). Get atleast 8GB of RAM and a couple of dual core 3GHz processors.

Hub and Cas can be deployed on the same server if you like but you may wish to seperate them out if you think you will have 500 concurrent users using Activesync or OWA. Again large ammounts of RAM and processing power helps and a Raid 10 set.

For the Edge sync 4GB of RAM and Raid 10 set for the smtp queues help (again you dont mention how much mail you expect in and out every day). Deploy your Anti-spam and Mailbox anti-virus here to stop as much as possible at the gateway. And on the mailbox role simply deploy a mailbox level AV only.

Obviously if both sites have an Internet connection than you can setup two MX records (one for each site) and e-mail will be delivered to either Edge Sync server and this will be your load balancing.

However for CAS you need a little bit more intelligence so that the HTTPS connection can be re-directed correctly. The cheapest option is to use single DNS (but that takes ages to replicate, especially for the internet), while hardware load balancing does a good job.

Obviously the presence of Active Directory, Global Catalogue and DNS is also crucial, so ensure this is highly avaliable too (atleast 2 such servers per site will help).

Also think about how your users will be able to contact site 2, if they are all on site 1 and the WAN link between them goes down, ect.

Finally think about Load balancing or cluster the roles if your SLA deems it.

Rishi 

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to GordonCopestake)
Post #: 2
RE: New Exchange 2007 setup - 3.Dec.2007 6:32:34 AM   
GordonCopestake

Rishi, thanks for your comprehensive reply. Lots to think about!

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 3
RE: New Exchange 2007 setup - 3.Dec.2007 6:58:16 AM   
neilho

A couple of things to cover.  First, you mention "at least 8GB RAM" for the mailbox server.  Now, I'm not one to scrimp on memory where it's required (and let's face it, it's cheap up to a certain amount) but that does seem overkill for 500 users on just the mailbox server role, even with a 'heavy' knowledge worker profile.  The words "at least" make it seem like you'll have him implementing 12GB, 16GB, etc, when, in my opinion, that's a little too much.  With a heavy knowledge worker profile equating to 5MB cache for each user, plus the recommended 2GB for the operating system, we have a mailbox memory requirement in the region of 4.5GB for 500 users.  You could be generous and say 6GB for cash. 

The recommended amount of memory for a CAS server is now 2GB per core, up from the 1GB per core that was previously recommended, particularly if you are using lots of Outlook Anywhere clients.  Also on CAS, if I was implementing multiple CAS servers I'd probably stick with a RAID1 set and not use RAID10, as I think that would be overkill.

Also I think it's worth Gordon noting that the Edge Transport server role isn't strictly required - it's definitely optional and so can be removed if you have other methods in place.

And Rishi is right about multiple storage groups, since the maximum recommended size for  single storage group when using continuous replication is 200GB.

Neil Hobson
http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson
http://www.simple-talk.com/author/neil-hobson/

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 4
RE: New Exchange 2007 setup - 3.Dec.2007 7:32:38 AM   
GordonCopestake

Thanks Neil , as this setup will last at least 5 years (and more likely 10) i'm happy to over spec the machines. The cost of the hardware (probably Dell 1950's) is less important than it all working robustly for the length of service we plan for this setup.

We will be using edge servers I think, but apparently not on our DMZ as they need way too many holes poking in the firewall. We need to think hard about how we present them.

We are also looking at BGP so that should hopefully cover any routing issues between sites.

(in reply to neilho)
Post #: 5
RE: New Exchange 2007 setup - 3.Dec.2007 8:09:11 AM   
rishishah

Grodon,

Agree with Neil's recommendations, however i was thinking about your 5 year requirement statement.

I would definately put the Edge in the DMZ.

The number of ports required is very small, especially as it does not need to be a Domain Member.

Its simply needs a TLS SMTP connection between Edge and Hub (both ways), a secure LDAP connection to update the ADAM from the Active Directory and RDP from inside to edge sync to look after it.

Personally i like the Poweredge 2950 servers with 2.5" SAS 15K Disks for the like of Edge, CAS and Hub. You can have upto 8 x 2.5" drives within a 2U chassis without the need for a SAN or external storage and can hence implement the more robust Raid 10 that gives you better performance and a 2 disk faileur option.

Obviously definately use external storage for the Mailbox if you need large number of spindles. I put in an MD3000 with a serial SCSI connection to the Mailbox server.

Having deployed a similar 600 user Exchange 2007 server this is my personal flavour.  

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

Post #: 6
RE: New Exchange 2007 setup - 3.Dec.2007 8:17:23 AM   
GordonCopestake

Rishi, thanks for your detailed advice. I will definatly be doing it that way I think. If I can keep the storage on board it saves one headache and the less to go wrong the better. I've not used 2.5" drives in a server before though, as they as reliable as 3.5" drives? Is their heat output higher than 3.5" drives?

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 7
RE: New Exchange 2007 setup - 3.Dec.2007 8:40:13 AM   
rishishah

For the Mailbox role you will have to put the disks on an exteal storage array if you wish to future proof.

I have beeen using the 2.5" SAS disks for nearly a year and with the 15K speed i dont see any performance issues as such. However i do implement Raid 10 as i like the performance and the 2 disk faileur it gives me. However i do put databases on 3.5" 15K disks.

As you get more disks with the 2.5" the heat output for a fully loaded 3.5" disk PE2950 and a fully loaded 2.5" disk PE2950 might be the same. However Dell do have a free utility called Datacentre Capacity Planner (i think) that will give your detailed heat and power requirements for servers in great detail depending on your own configuration.  

Rishi Shah, MCP

Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> New Exchange 2007 setup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter