• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Where to put ISA 2006

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Where to put ISA 2006 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where to put ISA 2006 - 16.Dec.2007 9:15:58 PM   
afitz

You helped me in past, getting my Exchange off my DC. Worked perfectly for a year.  Was using basic firewall, and needed to get my workers working so we  purchased ISA 2006, and they say not to put on DC, and am lost as to where I should put ISA. Installed on DC any ways, was working, and than purchased trainsignal ISA and was told to put Ex on perimeter. Is this possible with ISA on DC and only two servers?? As you can tell I am no guru by any means, yet know one little misclick on my DC, we can be down for weeks, rather than a weekend. I know the workers are finally working as their web browsing has basically halted. OMA, OWA and AS is all working, and fear what will happen next.  Any direction would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Where to put ISA 2006 - 18.Dec.2007 11:00:14 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Your design should look something like this. You have either a hardware firewall or ISA right at the edge. Then a different network card from the ISA connects to the LAN. You then have a DC and an Exchange server on the LAN. You're in a three box solution.
I'm not sure what else you're asking unless you're asking whether you need two or three boxes for ISA.
If you are short of cash/capacity/whatever then Exchange on a DC is perfectly fine; after all, SBS from MS is exactly that. Whatever you do the ISA should be on a separate box and should, ideally (I emphasise) have a couple of NICs.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to afitz)
Post #: 2
RE: Where to put ISA 2006 - 23.Dec.2007 12:24:39 AM   
afitz

2 Nics or just the one?  All is working on network accept access to exchange. ISA is denying now. Heads to corner with dunce cap

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Where to put ISA 2006 - 23.Dec.2007 12:26:05 AM   
afitz

Thinking should get a new server for exchange, and do it  right.

(in reply to afitz)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Where to put ISA 2006 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter