• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RPC over HTTP not resolving names but authenticates.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> RPC over HTTP not resolving names but authenticates. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RPC over HTTP not resolving names but authenticates. - 17.Dec.2007 3:13:06 PM   
samp76

Migrated from SBS 2003 to Exchange Enterprise via the guides available from msexchange.org.  This is a single Exchange server environment. No problems. When setting up Outlook 2003 the user names will not resolve for RPC, however if you setup a VPN to the Exchange server and it resolves. It even resolves after you disconnect from the VPN. This tells me that RPC is authenticating but not resolving.

PLEASE HELP!
Post #: 1
RE: RPC over HTTP not resolving names but authenticates. - 21.Dec.2007 3:31:47 PM   
de.blackman

When you are configuring RPC/HTTP you should not hit the check names button on the profile. Hitting the check names, will attempt to contact a global catalog server in your domain to determine the location of the user's mailbox. Since you are not publishing your DC\GC to the internet it will not resolve. Connecting through a VPN is the same as being on your local network so it will be able to resolve the name.

Once you have configured the profile, run outlook and it should ask you to authenticate. That is when Outlook will use RPC/HTTP to authenticate you to the GC and complete the profile creation

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to samp76)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> RPC over HTTP not resolving names but authenticates. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter