• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Log drive full - can i compress very old log files to make space?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Log drive full - can i compress very old log files to make space? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Log drive full - can i compress very old log files to m... - 29.Dec.2007 4:54:11 PM   
ceez

Hello everyone, we have ran out of space on our log file, apparently bkupexec was not clearing out transaction logs.

We tried backing up the stores with ntbkup but they failed.

So then we tried eseutil with the /d /p switch but our stores are extremely large and will take about 4 days to complete, too slow.

We ended up thinking about possibly compressing the log files with winrar.  Now I am not going to compress the most recent files (this prob started on 12/28/07), i will more thank likely leave all the log files for december, BUT we do have files dating back to 08/27/07.  Those are the files that I want to compress...08/27/07 to 11/30/07.  I would assume that since these are soo old that they have already been committed to the db and are safe to delete?!?!?  I am compressing them to another server share and then deleting the files from the log drive on our exchange backend. 

Is this safe to do?  I've read some sites which recommend when you've completely ran out of space and stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all,

ceez
Post #: 1
RE: Log drive full - can i compress very old log files ... - 30.Dec.2007 12:02:39 PM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

Log file should be purged after taking full online backup or incremental backup, i don't know why it is getting failed, you need to check that one first otherwise it will be big problem.

As of now as you said you are going out of space.. you can compress the old files and move it some other location.. you can check which is the last log file committed by running eseutil /mk on the checkpoint file.

Anyway one of client was having the issue that his full online backup is successful however log file is not gettingn purged.
so i have dismounted stores (when we dismount the store, all the log file will get committed)
cleared off all the files except priv1.edb .stm and pub1.edb and stm
mounted store back online and did full online backup this time it worked.

Please look into backup issue also..

(in reply to ceez)
Post #: 2
RE: Log drive full - can i compress very old log files ... - 1.Jan.2008 11:57:25 AM   
ceez

hey thanks for the reply

as of 12/31 we're back up and running!

i compressed about 12 gigs worth of really OLD transaction files from 08/27/07 to 08/30/07. moved the rar files to another server, rebooted the backend and we were back and running with 12 gigs of free space on our log drive.

this allowed us to perform the backup with NTbackup which took 2 and 1/2 days to complete.

it seems like NTbackup was originally failing cause' we didnt have any space at all.

I tried using the eseutil with the /mk switch or the /mh switch to see if the stores were greacefully shutdown but it would allow me because i had no space left.

leason learned, dont trust your regular backup software to do what it needs to do with transaction logs, and if you need to perform any eseutil you need some free space on the log drive.

thanks again!

ceez

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Log drive full - can i compress very old log files ... - 2.Jan.2008 9:58:51 AM   
gpo

Here's a link for you to study..

http://www.exchangerecovery.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25

(in reply to ceez)
Post #: 4
RE: Log drive full - can i compress very old log files ... - 2.Jan.2008 12:23:22 PM   
jchong

Sometimes you might have stale transaction log files that are no longer needed.

Run through the following article if you need to remove them safely.

How to remove Exchange Server transaction log files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145

James Chong (MVP)
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to gpo)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Log drive full - can i compress very old log files to make space? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter