• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

event ID 3008

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> event ID 3008 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
event ID 3008 - 9.Jan.2008 1:33:37 PM   
thall

I have an exchange server that is unable to send mail to a specific customer domain.  We're able to receive from this domain and we're able to send and receive from everyone else.  We have an internal DNS server which is setup with a DNS forwarder.   I'm also able to ping the domain.  The guy on the other end says there no record of our emails hitting their server.  Here's the event viewer log.

Event Type: Error
Event Source:     MSExchangeTransport
Event Category:   NDR
Event ID:   3008
Date:       1/8/2008
Time:       8:09:28 PM
User:       N/A
Computer:   MAILSERVER
Description:
A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.0.0 was generated for recipient rfc822;customer@customerdomain.com (Message-ID <C710D95E1F674343933E589E0CB01C7F15D5E7@mailserver.mydomain.local >).  
Cause:  This indicates a permanent failure. Possible causes :  1)No route is defined for a given address space. For example, an SMTP connector is configured, but this recipient address does not match the address spaces for which it routes mail.  2)Domain Name Server (DNS) returned an authoritative host not found for the domain.  3)The routing group does not have a connector defined mail from one server in the routing group has no way to get to another routing group.   
Solution: Verify that this error is not caused by a DNS lookup problem, and then check the address spaces configured on your STMP connectors. If you are delivering Internet mail through an SMTP connector,  consider adding an address space of type SMTP with value * (an asterisk) to one of the SMTP connectors to make routing possible. Verify all routing groups are connected to each other through a routing group connector or another connector.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Let me know if there's anything else you need, thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: event ID 3008 - 9.Jan.2008 3:47:45 PM   
uemurad

Check Message Tracking to see what Exchange is doing with the outbound message.

Check your SMTP connectors - are you explicitly naming the outbound domains?  Do you have separate connectors for specific external domains?

If all else fails, try establishing a telnet session to the recipient domain and create/send an entire message stream.  Note any non-OK responses.  Post them here if you have any questions.

http://exchangeguy.blogspot.com/2007/06/using-telnet-to-simulate-server.html

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to thall)
Post #: 2
RE: event ID 3008 - 15.Jan.2008 12:42:05 PM   
thall

Thanks again for your help.  It turned out that I needed to have reverse lookup setup for our domain.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> event ID 3008 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter