• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook client keeps asking for password

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Outlook client keeps asking for password Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook client keeps asking for password - 14.Jan.2008 12:01:21 PM   
jonmeg

A number of our users are experinecing the problem where their outlook client keeps prompting them to re-type their password in order for them to connect to the exchange server (which is Windows 2003 svr/exchange 2003 sp2)

Post #: 1
RE: Outlook client keeps asking for password - 14.Jan.2008 3:13:03 PM   
cobus.bothma

Hi

I know this is typical behaviour if your domain password has expired. A simple unlock and/or reset of the user account password & a log on/log off should solve it. Is it only a few users or your entire organisation?

Regards

Cobus

(in reply to jonmeg)
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook client keeps asking for password - 15.Jan.2008 4:10:10 AM   
jonmeg

Thanks Cobus

It is happenning to a growing number of my users, myself included, however, my user account in AD is set to never expire, as is my password.  Should I try  resetting them both anyway?

Cheers

Jonathan

(in reply to cobus.bothma)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook client keeps asking for password - 15.Jan.2008 4:10:11 AM   
jonmeg

Thanks Cobus

It is happenning to a growing number of my users, myself included, however, my user account in AD is set to never expire, as is my password.  Should I try  resetting them both anyway?

Cheers

Jonathan

Post #: 4
RE: Outlook client keeps asking for password - 15.Jan.2008 4:56:31 AM   
cobus.bothma

Try that on your account & see if it changes anything. If not also try browsing through the event logs on your pc & then on the exchange server to see if there's any logs that complain about authentication errors. Is your pc time 100% correct & in sync with your domain controller? I have seen kerberos authentication errors when there are time differences between systems especially AD. Let me know what happens...

Regards

(in reply to jonmeg)
Post #: 5
RE: Outlook client keeps asking for password - 15.Jan.2008 9:34:49 AM   
jonmeg

Thanks Cobus

I reset my user password, and this did not seem to have any affect, and also checked the time synch on both my computer and exchange servers, there was a small difference in time which has been sorted. My event viewer system log showed Kerberos warning 14, and LSAsrv error 40961.  I looked up 40961 on eventid.net and got the following possible solution

IF YOU ALSO GET EVENTID 14 FROM SOURCE KERBEROS WITH THIS EVENT, GO TO CONTROL PANEL -> USERS ACCOUNTS, CLICK ON THE ADVANCED TAB AND THEN ON MANAGE PASSWORDS. THERE SHOULD BE AN ENTRY THERE RELATING TO THE SERVER AND DOMAIN\USER MENTIONED IN THE EVENT ID 14 DESCRIPTION. UPDATE OR DELETE THE ENTRY.
THE USER WAS BEING PROMPTED TO AUTHENTICATE (WITH DIFFERENT ACCOUNT INFO ALREADY FILLED IN) WHEN TRYING TO OPEN A SHARE ON A SPECIFIC SERVER TO WHICH THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SEAMLESS ACCESS. AFTER REMOVING THE ENTRY, ACCESS WORKED NORMALLY AND THE ERRORS WENT AWAY.

Since following this advice as well I have not been asked to supply my password.  i will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks very much for your help.

jonathan

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Outlook client keeps asking for password Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter