• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

2003 can't send messages to 2007 server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 23.Jan.2008 6:11:58 AM   
zippyq

I just installed Exchange 2007 and am able to send email from mailboxes on it to my existing 2003 server as well as the Internet but messages are not routed back in. I have a simple Exchange org with a single 2003 server. The routing group looks to be set up properly by the install. We use a smarthost for our SMTP traffic outbound and from reading other posts think that could be the issue. How do I set it so that the internal traffic that should go to 2007 does not go out the default smtp connector? Is there a way to move the bridgehead connector up in priority over the smtp outbound connector?

Dave
Post #: 1
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 4.Feb.2008 1:56:04 PM   
pbaayen

I seem to have the exact same problem. After many installations, recreating the connectors manually, etc. my mail flow from Exch.2003 to Exch. 2007 ends up in a queue and never arrives in the Exch.2007 mailbox. Do I have to create another receive connector on 2007 in order to be able to receive mail from 2003? Anybody!!!  Help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul...

(in reply to zippyq)
Post #: 2
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 4.Feb.2008 4:41:16 PM   
tfd6412

Does the default receive connector on the Hub Transport server have the "Anonymous Users" option checked in the Permissions Group tab?

Bob

(in reply to zippyq)
Post #: 3
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 5.Feb.2008 10:18:59 AM   
pbaayen

In my setup the answer is Yes. Anonymous users is checked...

Paul...

(in reply to tfd6412)
Post #: 4
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 8.Feb.2008 9:44:29 AM   
tfd6412

Sorry guys.  Didn't mean to ditch ya but things got kinda hectic around here.  Such is life in our world. 

Can you guys fire up the Queue Viewer and Message Tracking tools and try to see where the messages are?

Bob

(in reply to pbaayen)
Post #: 5
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 8.Feb.2008 2:39:09 PM   
pbaayen

Hi Bob, Thank you for your reply. I really don't want to take over this thread and I hope Dave can benefit from this too. e-mail sent from 2003 ends up in the routing group connector that was created during the exchange 2007 installation. After a while the "Additional Queue Information" tells me: the connection was dropped by the remote host. The crazy thing is that message tracking tells me that instead of trying to deliver it to the 2007 mailbox through the connector, it's sending the message to my smtp gateway (also my smarthost)  I also can't replicate my public folders to my 2007 box. Basically: the connector from 2003 to 2007 is not working at all. I can send mail fom my 2007 box to the outside and to 2003 mailboxes without any problems. It's just impossible to go live until I get this connector to work properly.

Paul...

(in reply to tfd6412)
Post #: 6
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 8.Feb.2008 3:13:29 PM   
tfd6412

Hmmm...  Is there anything shady in the protocol or event logs on either the 2k3 or 2k7 machines?

(in reply to pbaayen)
Post #: 7
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 12.Feb.2008 8:03:46 AM   
pbaayen

I fixed every error that was in there... None related to this problem as far as I could tell. Since I tried to replicate public folders to the 2007 box the connector queue fill up all day now. Not good. Could it be the receiving part on the 2007 box? I guess that would be my default receive connector on 2007. As you can tell I'm not really getting anywhere and some people here are not happy with that.  Very frustrating... All help and advise is more than welcome!!!

Paul...

(in reply to tfd6412)
Post #: 8
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 12.Feb.2008 9:59:25 AM   
dssbreilly

under organisation config -> hub transport

you have a atabed menu

the first one REMOTE DOMAINS such have
Name "Default" and DOMAIN "*"

then the Accepted Domains should be :
XYZ Group, xyzgroup.com ,Authoritive

Send Connector TAB:
Name " Mailsweeper" Enabled

(in reply to pbaayen)
Post #: 9
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 12.Feb.2008 11:16:37 AM   
pbaayen

Thank you for your reply!
Everything looks the way you describe exept for the send connector tab. What's "Mailsweeper" enabled?(That is not in there) And does my send connector have anything to do with mail going from 2003 to 2007?

(in reply to dssbreilly)
Post #: 10
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 12.Feb.2008 11:54:35 AM   
dssbreilly

a mail sweeper server or appliance is just an example of a outgoing send connector

in my case it accepts, scans, and delivers in and out as an smtp gateway.

on your setup when u look at the send connector list is it blank or do you have anything there, if yes let me know what you have on each tab of its properties and ill probably know fro mthat whats wrong

(in reply to pbaayen)
Post #: 11
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 12.Feb.2008 1:58:10 PM   
pbaayen

I have the two edgesync connectors and a connector pointing to my smarthost. The last one was created when I installed 2007 into my 2003 org.  I still don't understand though how a sendconnector on 2007 can mess up mailflow coming from Exch2003 going to Exch2007?

(in reply to dssbreilly)
Post #: 12
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 13.Feb.2008 5:32:11 AM   
dssbreilly

Routing Group Connectors If Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 coexist in the same organization, you must configure routing group connectors between the single, global Exchange 2007 routing group and the routing groups configured in the earlier version of Exchange Server.

The first routing group connector between Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 is created and configured during installation of the first Hub Transport Server role in an existing Exchange organization.

You must use the Exchange Management Shell to configure routing group connectors that include an Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server as either a source server or target server.

To support coexistence with Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2000, all computers that are running Exchange 2007 are automatically put into a single routing group when the first Hub Transport server role is installed.

The routing group in Exchange 2007 is recognized in the Exchange System Manager of Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2000 as Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR). You cannot use the Exchange System Manager of Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2000 to manage the Exchange 2007 routing group or any routing group connectors that include an Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server as either a source server or target server.

New in Exchange 2007 SP1 Exchange 2007 SP1 provides supports for configuration of a maximum message size limit on a routing group connector. By default, Exchange 2007 does not impose a maximum message size limit on messages that are relayed across a routing group connector.

If you use the Set-RoutingGroupConnector cmdlet to configure a maximum message size on a routing group connector, routing generates a NDR for any message that has a size larger than the maximum message size limit that is configured on any routing group connector in the least cost routing path.

This configuration is useful for restricting the size of messages that are sent to remote Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange 2000 Server servers that must communicate over low-bandwidth connections.

For more information, see the following topics:  Troubleshooting Routing Exchange 2007 provides tools and extensive logging resources to help you with mail flow problems. The following diagnostic tools are available in the Toolbox of the Exchange Management Console:
  • Exchange Server Best Practices Analyzer   Use the Best Practices Analyzer to check the configuration and health of the Exchange topology. This tool automatically gathers and examines information about the configuration of the Exchange organization and summarizes the findings in a report. The report lists problems by severity and includes a suggested fix for the issue. Additionally, this tool provides a list of recent changes and a detailed summary of the Exchange organization configuration. For more information, see Microsoft Exchange Analyzers.
  • Exchange Mail Flow Troubleshooter   Use the Exchange Mail Flow Troubleshooter tool to help diagnose mail flow and transport-related problems. This tool lets you select a mail flow symptom, analyzes your configuration, and outputs findings to a report. For more information, see Overview: Microsoft Exchange Analyzers.
  • Message Tracking   Use the Message Tracking tool to examine the contents of message tracking logs. For more information, see Managing Message Tracking.
  • Queue Viewer   Use the Exchange Queue Viewer to view and manage Exchange mail queues. For more information, see Using the Queue Viewer to Manage Queues.

(in reply to pbaayen)
Post #: 13
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 15.Feb.2008 12:30:10 PM   
zippyq

Sorry I haven't posted back sooner but I'd moved on to the next challenges and haven't checked back in awhile.

I found that my SMTP connectors on my Exchange 2003 server were set incorrectly. I had the smart host set on the default SMTP virtual server instead of on the external routing group connector where it belongs so everything was getting passed out to the smarthost and going nowhere.

For the Default SMTP Virtual Server: Under administrative Groups: Servers: Protocols:SMTP: Default SMTP Virtual Server
In the properties look at the advanced button under the delivery tab. DO NOT put the smart host entry here.

It should be under the external routing group connector under Routing groups instead.

Hope that helps. As soon as I made the change everything worked.

< Message edited by zippyq -- 15.Feb.2008 12:32:43 PM >

(in reply to zippyq)
Post #: 14
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 20.Feb.2008 12:42:16 PM   
pbaayen

You rule!!!  Thank you so much for figuring this out. I guess the smallest things can cause the biggest problems. I made the change and everything is working perfect now!!!!!   Thanks again!!!
Paul...

(in reply to zippyq)
Post #: 15
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 18.Mar.2008 3:59:50 PM   
ll00

You are totally awesome! I had been banging my head against this for 3 days until I can across this thread. Thanks zippyq, you rock!

(in reply to zippyq)
Post #: 16
RE: 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server - 26.Jul.2008 12:22:16 AM   
dc

I know the smart host has been a major problem, and I'm having the same problem, though I do not have a smart host on any the SMTP Virtual or RGC for out going email.  My Exchange Server sends email directly out. 

To the best of my knowledge I've been through every post on this site and many others regarding this issue and I still can't receive email from my 03 exch server or the internet to my Exch 07 SP1 server.

This is a new install of Exchange 07 with a CCR cluster, and HUB/CAS server (not on same as CCR)...  Installs wen't well, all of my systems past the Analyzers and so forth.  Only 1 legacy exch 03 server and 1 OWA.

On the Exch 07 server I can send email outbound (and to users on Exch 07) but I still cannot receive email from exch03 to the Exch 07 server... the messages build up on the 03 queue (messages with an unreachable destination).

Again, no smart host anywhere on the 03 system.  I can telnet to the HUB/CAS server port 25 from the 03 server.  I also delete the default install RGC and re created, bi directional.  Ran all the tool Analyzers and everything is clean.

Also, the servers are on the same subnet, same switch...

Is there anything else I might be missing? 

Any insight or direction is much appreciated..

(in reply to ll00)
Post #: 17

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> 2003 can't send messages to 2007 server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter