• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to Find IP Address

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> How to Find IP Address Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to Find IP Address - 24.Jan.2008 12:36:43 AM   
sharique

Hi mates...
how can i find IP Address in Internet Headers of MS Outlook 2003 If i receive email from LAN user.I do know that emails received from External users contain wealth of information in Internet Header.But LAN generated emails have blank Internet Header.I am using MS Exchange Server 2003 SP1 as a messaging system.
informative reply will be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: How to Find IP Address - 24.Jan.2008 3:49:52 AM   
zbnet

Internal emails (mailbox to mailbox within Exchange) have blank Internet headers because they're not Internet messages - they're contained entirely within the Exchange store (on a single server setup they're not actually sent anywhere).

If you need more information about who is sending email to who internally, Message Tracking may be useful to you - you need to turn it on if it isn't already, and it doesn't work retrospectvely.

(in reply to sharique)
Post #: 2
RE: How to Find IP Address - 24.Jan.2008 4:14:10 AM   
sharique

ok....
I did enable logging from Message Tracking Centre and came across "-" in client IP address colum.However, one of my customer sent an snapshop which  contains IP address of email sender,10.0.1.87,. in Internet Headers.I dont know how did that come.For some reasons, i cant paste the snapshot here.If you give me your email address then i can send it.Furthermore, If we use POP3 account instead of Microsoft Exchange Account, will that solve problem?
IS there any Knowledge Base for complete proof.
regards

you can also contact me

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 3
RE: How to Find IP Address - 24.Jan.2008 8:18:47 AM   
rpm

Zbnet is correct, internal messages are not delivered via the internet therefore do nto have internet headers - if your customer has a message with an IP address in the headers then it has originated outside his organisation. Changing client to POP3 will not make any difference. I don't know of a KB article to "prove" this point - but trust us on this one, we're not making it up!

(in reply to sharique)
Post #: 4
RE: How to Find IP Address - 24.Jan.2008 8:33:25 AM   
Sembee

There is no way that you can track which machine sent an internal email after the fact. I don't believe that message tracking shows that information, it isn't in the message tracking center and doesn't appear in the logs.

EXMON shows the IP address of the Outlook client, but that is live information, it isn't stored anywhere. However that does mean that the information is available somewhere, so you may have to get something written to record that information in to log files or a database if it is something that you will want to track.

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP
Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
Web: http://www.amset.info/
In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/
Exchange Resources: http://exbpa.com/

(in reply to rpm)
Post #: 5
RE: How to Find IP Address - 24.Jan.2008 2:24:15 PM   
bsakata

If you are trying to see who sent an email to an external customer and the external customer has sent you the email headers, then use it to follow where it came from.

10.0.1.87 is a non-routable internet address so this client is using smtp to send the message to the next IP hop in the headers.  However, note that IPs can be spoofed.  I would check the IP address of the smtp sender that communicated with your external customer's smtp server.  If this is indeed your external IP address of your exchange server, it came from within your orginization.  If not, it originated elsewhere.

(in reply to Sembee)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> How to Find IP Address Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter