• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA permission and WM6

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA permission and WM6 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA permission and WM6 - 13.Feb.2008 6:27:00 PM   
Esteban

We have a separate exchange and owa server. We run exch 2003 on server 2003.  We are successfully using a motorola q9 pda with windows mobile 6 that syncs the mail/calendar ect.  We can also use a web browser on a non-company pc to access exchange via OWA.  In other words,  it is all hooked up and working.

My question is whether there is a way to allow a user to use OWA via the web but not use a WM6 device.   On the exchange features snap in,  we have OWA enabled under protocols,  and we have all the options under Mobile Services enabled.   Does the 'OWA enabled'  control both the web access and a WM6 device sync access?

I have some users that should have OWA web,  but I dont want them hooking up a WM6 device without me knowing.  It seems like all they need to know is the webmail server name.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: OWA permission and WM6 - 14.Feb.2008 8:22:29 AM   
leederbyshire

It can be done if you use Forms-based Authentication.  Look at your IIS Log File to see what the user agent for WM6 IE looks like.  Probably something like this:
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+4.01;+Windows+CE;+PPC;+240x320)
Then add a line near the beginning of your logon.asp file:

<% If Instr(Request.ServerVariables("USER_AGENT"), "PPC") <> 0 Then Response.End %>

If you don't use FBA, I don't know of a way to do it.

Lee.

Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com

(in reply to Esteban)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA permission and WM6 - 14.Feb.2008 12:46:48 PM   
marobertson

Why dont you just disable everyone's mobile services, then enable the service as they request it? With their mobile services disabled, then they will not be able to sync any mobile device and can still check their OWA from the web.

Why would you want to stop someone with WM6 from syncing with your exchange server?

(in reply to Esteban)
Post #: 3
RE: OWA permission and WM6 - 14.Feb.2008 1:16:04 PM   
Esteban

marobertson - If I knew what flag to flip to disable just mobile, I would.  Please describe how I would do that.  It appears to me that the OWA flag controls both web and mobile access (i think that wm6/active sync is leveraging owa).  I initially tried to disable OMA and it had no effect.

leederbyshire - We do use forms based authentication.  I have looked at the logfile and when I use the Qphone, an entry looks like this:
2008-02-14 00:04:22 W3SVC1 192.168.108.192 POST /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync User=USERX&DeviceId=BB01FBCB688C570A74B2167E3FC97B8X&DeviceType=SmartPhone&Cmd=Ping&Log=V4TNASNC:0A0C0D0FS:0A0C0D0SP:2C20I12277S378512R0S0L1380H0P 443 SERVERX.com\USERX 70.6.57.54 MSFT-SPhone/5.2.603 200 0 0

An entry from a user using the web looks like this:
111.111.111.111 GET /exchange - 443 ABC-corp\USERY 227 11.1.11.111 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+7.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727) 401 1 1326

(in reply to marobertson)
Post #: 4
RE: OWA permission and WM6 - 14.Feb.2008 2:20:09 PM   
marobertson

You said in your first message that:
" On the exchange features snap in,  we have OWA enabled under protocols,  and we have all the options under Mobile Services enabled."

If you disable all mobile servers for a user, then they will not be able to sync with a mobile device.

I have the exchange management tools installed on XP, I go to my AD Users and Computers MMC, and find the user that i want to modify. In the user's properties, there is a tab for Exchange Features, from there, disable all mobile services for that user (should be three of them), but leave the Protocols enabled that you want them to be able to use. That will allow them to view OWA, but not OMA on any mobile device.

(in reply to Esteban)
Post #: 5
RE: OWA permission and WM6 - 15.Feb.2008 12:49:58 PM   
Esteban

You are correct, disabling all three of the 'Mobile Services' did the trick in my test.   I was still able to use OWA,  but not allowed to sync from the WM6 device.    It seems so obvious now,  thank you for clarifying to me.

(in reply to marobertson)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA permission and WM6 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter