• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Transitioning to Exchange 2007

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Transitioning to Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transitioning to Exchange 2007 - 16.Feb.2008 3:07:46 PM   
Nelsonm

My current environment consist of 2 server.

Server 1: Front End Exchange (handling all OWA, OMA, and mail filtering)
Server 2: Backup End exchange (containing all mailbox)

Both server are sitting behind a firewall with port forwarding SMTP, HTTP and HTTPS to Server 1 and allowing all outgoing SMTP traffic from Server 2.

This setup has been working well for almost 4 years now.  Now we are about to transition to exchange 2007 and I can't get my head around the edge transport role and hub transport role.

I have purchase 2 new server to transition exchange 2003 to 2007.

NewServer 1 and NewServer 2.

Everything I have read seem to indicated that I should put the Edge Transport Role into NewServer 2 and put the rest of the server role into NewServer 1.  Then port forward SMTP traffic to NewServer 2.  However, my concern is I am will force to expose NewServer 1 to the internet inorder to allow user access to OWA and OMA.  I still think that the Front End Exchange server should be handling all that role.  My solution so far is to the following.. I hope someone can tell me if this will work or not.

NewServer 1 Hub Transport Role and Mailbox Store role. 
NewServer 2: Hub Transport Role and Client Access Role

Then port forward SMTP, HTTP and HTTPS to NewServer 2 and allow all outgoing SMTP traffic to NewServer 1.

Thank you in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Transitioning to Exchange 2007 - 16.Feb.2008 3:45:59 PM   
Elan Shudnow

One of the things to keep in mind, is that you won't have true load balancing if you do put the Hub Transport role on the Mailbox Server Role as the Mailbox Server will always use it's own Hub Transport role first.  So it'll be more of a redundancy type of solution rather than a load balancing.

So with two servers, you could do the following:
Server 1: Edge in DMZ
Server2: HUB/CAS/Mailbox

or

Server1: CAS
Server2: HUB/Mailbox

or

Server1: CAS/HUB
Server2: HUB/Mailbox

or

Server1: CAS/HUB
Server2: HUB/CAS/Mailbox

More of all this depends on the amount of redundancy you want built into the Exchange organization.  Since you are coming from a single FE and a single BE, I'd assume you don't have many redundancy requirements.

I'd personally skip the Edge Transport server and just go with a HUB/CAS and then a dedicated Mailbox server.  I'd then go for ISA 2006 when budget allows so you can reverse proxy OWA, Outlook Anywhere (RPC/HTTP), and ActiveSync.  You can even publish your SMTP servers so your MX record will hit ISA and ISA will just reverse proxy the SMTP traffic back to your HUB server.

If you do go with an Edge, then you could put all your roles on your remaining Exchange box, then when budget allows, get another server, move the roles to the new server, or even add the roles to the new server and do NLB for the CAS.  And then add another box for ISA in the future.

As you can see, there's many different options.  None are really wrong, it just depends on your business requirements.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to Nelsonm)
Post #: 2
RE: Transitioning to Exchange 2007 - 17.Feb.2008 1:15:22 PM   
Sembee

As far as I am concerned Edge is a waste of money. I can achieve 90% of what Edge does using other products for less than Exchange 2007 license (there is a point where it becomes cheaper to use an Edge, but that is quite high).

If Edge supported more than just SMTP then it would become useful. It doesn't - it is for SMTP email only.
If you want to protect OWA interfaces (there is no OMA) then you should use an ISA server as already indicated. Whether you should have a dedicated mailbox server or not is not something I can make a comment on as you haven't provided any information about load, users and store size.

Without an ISA you aren't really gaining anything by having a separate CAS. As with Frontend servers, they should not be deployed for security, but for load reasons. With Exchange 2003 having a frontend server does nothing to improve the security of your network - only using something like ISA does that.

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP
Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
Web: http://www.amset.info/
In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/
Exchange Resources: http://exbpa.com/

(in reply to Elan Shudnow)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Transitioning to Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter