• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

X400, X500 mail address outlook/exchange question - NDR

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> X400, X500 mail address outlook/exchange question - NDR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
X400, X500 mail address outlook/exchange question - NDR - 22.Feb.2008 12:12:13 PM   
asianhawk

Hi,
I have just sent a mail to a person that used to have an AD accnt and Exchange 2003 mailbox within our organisation. I sent the mail using outlook, and it used a cached copy of the persons name (ie. not contact, nor directory lookup, but rather outlook's autocomplete feature).The mail bounced back with an NDR of the following form:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
IMCEAex-_O=Organisation_OU=FIRST+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=user@domain.com
Unrouteable address

while this person now has no AD accnt/exchange mailbox, he does have a mail forward setup in ldap, which would get looked up from the smtp server. I guess it wouldn't get this far, as the ldap lookup would rely upon an smtp address.

I understand this is due to outlook saving the name with an X500 address (which would be of the form shown), rather than the smtp address (user@domain.com), and since this X500 address references the user's exchange box, and that this has now gone, the mail address cannot be resolved.

My queries:

1) I understand that X500 addresses are from Exchange 5.5 days, and we have never had that. We have always only used Exchange 2003, and the users only have smtp and X400 reply addresses under their accounts in AD. So, is it really X500 address that are still cached with the names in outlook?

2) is this a real problem or have i just been unlucky with this one mail? Isn't there any way around it? I know i can delete the record from my cache, but what about other users, that have left the organisation, but are still using their cached addressess in outlook after they have left, and after we have deleted their mailboxes? I can't believe this is happening all the time?!?, but am not sure.
Post #: 1
RE: X400, X500 mail address outlook/exchange question -... - 22.Feb.2008 4:11:33 PM   
Sembee

The bit that routes internal email is the bit in < > So your auto complete would show John Jones <jjones>. The jjones bit is the alias in ADUC, or a legacy setting - from Exchange 5.5 days. You could try adding an X.500 address to match to the contact - that should mean the contact would continue to work - but I haven't tried that with a contact so wouldn't know if it works.

What I do find odd is that you are referencing people who have left but you are still using their addresses. The only time I find it is a problem is when the user changes their name. Do you allow ex-staff to keep the old email address or have a high turn over of contractors or something like that? The symptoms you have described are not something I would usually expect to see often purely because it doesn't happen.

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP
Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
Web: http://www.amset.info/
In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/
Exchange Resources: http://exbpa.com/

(in reply to asianhawk)
Post #: 2
RE: X400, X500 mail address outlook/exchange question -... - 26.Feb.2008 4:20:41 PM   
jez_uk

if you add the X500 address to the contact using the custom address option and a type of X500 then the address will resolve and you will not get the NDR

Jez

(in reply to asianhawk)
Post #: 3
RE: X400, X500 mail address outlook/exchange question -... - 26.Feb.2008 8:43:32 PM   
Lauracraft

I am having same NDR problem. I added the X500 address to couple of users account. I gave whole day for data to get replicated. But when I check on users properties from outlook it is not showing the x500 address. Looks like the replication has not happened yet. Shoul I manually run the RUS? Which one? One is local to the domain and second one is for Enterprise configuration. I am a newbee to Exchange. So please help. Being newbee I would appreciate detailed instructions.

Note: Yesterday, I did a test and everything replicated in an hour. However today it is not happening.

Please forgive me if I posted it at wrong place. Thought of just jumping into same problem conversation.

(in reply to jez_uk)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> X400, X500 mail address outlook/exchange question - NDR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter