• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exmerge

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Exmerge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exmerge - 22.Feb.2008 4:25:38 PM   
cbaur88

Hi folk, I too like others on this forum topic going to be upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to 2007. I know there is no direct path, so I am going the PST route.

I've worked with exmerge in the past at previous jobs, have it working here in my current location. However my question to you guys is does Exmerge copy or move mail from the mailbox store?

I just did a quick test which I had to cancel in the middle of (so that might have screwed something up) which created a pst successfully, however all my emails in my Outlook inbox were gone. Everything was gone!!! I thought it was just suppose to copy the mail not move to a pst, leaving the mail behind so I have a fall back point should the upgrade process go wrong, or mail is missing.

In your experience does it copy or move the mail? Is there way I can just get it to copy the mail? Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Exmerge - 22.Feb.2008 8:36:28 PM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

Exmerge can have a copy of the mails into pst.
Just check out in the options.
R u using old exmerge or latest one?

(in reply to cbaur88)
Post #: 2
RE: Exmerge - 25.Feb.2008 8:21:09 AM   
cbaur88

Thanks for the reply  I am using an older version of Exmerge I believe 3.71 which is suppose to work with Exchange 5.5. I am going to do another test and see how that goes. From what I've always remembered using the program it only copied the mail. For some reason this time it moved all my Outlook data into a PST vs.  just copying it. Maybe me canceling the program in the middle had something to do with it. Again thanks! 

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Exmerge - 25.Feb.2008 9:02:15 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate.

Post me an update once you are done

(in reply to cbaur88)
Post #: 4
RE: Exmerge - 26.Feb.2008 9:22:42 AM   
cbaur88

I did a re-test with a dummy account and was successfully able to only copy mail into a PST. However now for some reason I am unable to connect back to my Exchange 5.5 server. Getting a "Make sure you have user admin permissions to the store". I've been connecting to it the same way for about 4 days now all of a sudden I can't.

Can't wait to get away from Exchange 5.5.

Post #: 5
RE: Exmerge - 26.Feb.2008 9:42:37 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

Check wether that respective account has "Service Account" in Exchange 5.5 Permission tab.

i.e open Exchange Admin console
Org name => properties => permisssion
Then configuration / site name => Permission
Then Servers => Permission

If not then add that user

(in reply to cbaur88)
Post #: 6
RE: Exmerge - 26.Feb.2008 10:04:37 AM   
cbaur88

Thanks for the tips, I did add them all with the correct accounts but still getting the error. I then updated my Exchange Admin console w/ SP to match that of the acutal server's console and it allowed me in once but was unable to export a PST successfully, it failed. Now I can't get back in!!! This program is quack! 

Post #: 7
RE: Exmerge - 29.Feb.2008 12:10:46 PM   
myname

I am having a similar problem with exmerge and Exchange 2003 enterprise.

I finally  converted my Outlook 2007 PST file to Outlook 2003 format.  Now when I run exmerge, I am getting the error:

"Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)"

I created a group, and made the administrator and myself part of the group.  I then went in to the database store (I think it was the correct location described below), and added that admin group with full privs.

Here is where I added the new group with full access:
Exchange System Manager
-First Organization (Exchange)
--Administrative Groups
---First Administrative Group
----Servers
-----[Mail Server Name]
------First Storage Group
-------Mailbox Store ([mail server name])
--------Mailboxes

This is the first exchange server I have administered, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Kevin

(in reply to cbaur88)
Post #: 8
RE: Exmerge - 3.Mar.2008 2:26:05 PM   
cbaur88

I am finally able to run the program but only the Exchange server itself which dosen't have MS Outlook installed in which I thought was a prerequisit???? Now I am able to connect and see the list of mailboxes, however I am only able to export the Admin mailbox into a PST. It's got to be some sort of rights issue. I've given all the appropriate rights. Am I missing something? What else could I be missing?? Any help from anyone would be really great. Thanks! 

(in reply to myname)
Post #: 9
RE: Exmerge - 6.Mar.2008 3:23:19 AM   
zbnet

Outlook is not a prerequisit for running ExMerge 3.71 - indeed installing Outlook on a server can cause real issues, it's all to do with the different mapi32.dll versions.

In any case, and especially for a bulk migration, I would recommend running ExMerge on the exchange server, as then it is local to the information store it is extracting from (it gets you the quickest and most reliable MAPI connection).  ExMerge creates profiles 'on the fly' for the mailboxes it's connecting to, so you don't need to worry about that.

ExMerge needs access to any mailbox it connects to to be able to extract the messages.  Obviously the site service account has full access to any mailbox in the privateinformation store, so if you log on with that account to run ExMerge it should work for any mailbox.

The alternative is to specifically add the account you log in as to run ExMerge to any mailbox you need to export - on the Permissions tab (tick the box in Admin if you can't see this for any object) add the ExMerge account as User to the mailbox, then it will be able to open it (after you wait for the DS/IS permissions sync, which can take up to 120 minutes if you haven't changed it).

(in reply to cbaur88)
Post #: 10
RE: Exmerge - 6.Mar.2008 10:04:23 AM   
cbaur88

quote:

ORIGINAL: zbnet

Outlook is not a prerequisit for running ExMerge 3.71 - indeed installing Outlook on a server can cause real issues, it's all to do with the different mapi32.dll versions.

In any case, and especially for a bulk migration, I would recommend running ExMerge on the exchange server, as then it is local to the information store it is extracting from (it gets you the quickest and most reliable MAPI connection).  ExMerge creates profiles 'on the fly' for the mailboxes it's connecting to, so you don't need to worry about that.

ExMerge needs access to any mailbox it connects to to be able to extract the messages.  Obviously the site service account has full access to any mailbox in the privateinformation store, so if you log on with that account to run ExMerge it should work for any mailbox.

The alternative is to specifically add the account you log in as to run ExMerge to any mailbox you need to export - on the Permissions tab (tick the box in Admin if you can't see this for any object) add the ExMerge account as User to the mailbox, then it will be able to open it (after you wait for the DS/IS permissions sync, which can take up to 120 minutes if you haven't changed it).

Zbnet, thanks so very much for your response. I was aware/read that installing Outlook on an Exchange box was bad news, so I didn't go that direction. However I thought I read somewhere that in order for Exmerge to run it needed Outlook installed on the machine your running it on?

Anyways your right it works fine on Exchange server and runs pretty fast.  But when say "add the ExMerge account" (which in my situation is Administrator account for this NT Domain) as a user to the mailbox, what exactly do you mean or where exactly do you do that? Are you talking about From within outlook adding the user or in the exchange admin console? From within outlook I have done this and gave admin full rights to the mailbox or editor rights. You are such a great help, I feel I am getting closer to my goal with your help!

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 11
RE: Exmerge - 6.Mar.2008 10:39:59 AM   
zbnet

The Exchange Admin console.  But this adding permissions step is unnecessary if you log in using the Service Account for the Exchange site instead of the Domain Admin account.

(in reply to cbaur88)
Post #: 12
RE: Exmerge - 6.Mar.2008 10:43:09 AM   
cbaur88

I'll give it a shot zbnet logging in as the Exchange server account and see if that makes a differennce. However I am still confused where to add the account permission in Exachnge console. Is it done at the private store level persmissions tab, I tried that as well if that's where your talking about. I give it a shot and let you know how I made out. Thanks again for great help! 

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 13
RE: Exmerge - 10.Mar.2008 5:44:17 AM   
zbnet

No, I mentioned in my post tat you need to add the permissions to the mailbox that you are trying to exmerge to/from.  If you have ticked the box in Admin Options to show permissions for every object, you will see when you look at the properties of a mailbox a new tab called Permissions.  That's where you add the extra account (if you're doing it that way) to allow ExMerge to access that mailbox.

You need to add the permission for the account to every single mailbox object that you wish to ExMerge.  Or, because Exchange permissions are (largely) hierarchical, you could add that account with User permissions to the Recipients container permissions tab, and then every mailbox object under that Recipients container would inherit that permission, so you would be able to ExMerge from any mailbox without needing to explicitly set the permission on the mailbox object.

(in reply to cbaur88)
Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Exmerge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote