• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Problems with reinstalling Exchange.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Problems with reinstalling Exchange. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems with reinstalling Exchange. - 25.Feb.2008 5:42:38 AM   
Philip

Hey hey,

Got abit of a problem.

We've got two servers one is DC and the other is a member server.
We did a installation of exchange 2003 on the DC a while back to test some spam filter software for a couple of clients. Afterwards we uninstalled the exchange server again as it was just using up rescources. One of the companies asked us to test Kaspersky for them and so we decided to install Exchange again.

This time though we are installing it to the member server (which we didnt have the last time). Problem is, we cannot get it installed now. At this point we've only got the System Management tools installed.

Seems like the previous install left traces (which we knew it would) that are blocking the new installation. After reading +- 50 forums we still haven't been able to resolve the problem. We've noticed that everyone says we do not have to run forestprep again. Also we've done all the ADSIedit suggestions. I'm seriousely frustrated with this because we don't have the option of formatting and we don't have alot of time available to test the Spam Software.

So here's whats bugging me.

We cannot run Forestprep because of the following error:

The component "Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation" cannot be assigned the action "Forestprep" because to install the first Exchange server in a domain, or to run setup in "/ForestPrep" mode, you must be an Exchange Full Administrator at the organization level. You must use an account that has been granted the Full Exchange Administrator role on the Exchange organization using the Exchange Administrative Delegation Wizard.

Now I've followed the KB articels and assigned a new "Exchange Full Administrator" or "EFA" using the delegation wizard, but what I've not seen is any type of group created in AD to which the EFA is assigned.

Removing any of the assigned EFA's using the delegation wizard has also been unsuccessful. we get the following error:

The delegation wizard could not grant/change permissions for: "account name"

Account name being the account we try to remove/change.

I've also been unsuccessful in running DCDiag to get a bit of information. It starts up and then closes down the window. Running it in cmd does not help either as it gives a few errors and quits the program.

All these things started after removing the initial exchange installation.

Anyone that can help me or point me in a diff direction ? Just keep in mind that I'm still learning this stuff so try to keep it simple please and if it has to get technical I'm sure I'll beable to do it with  abit of help from you guys

< Message edited by Philip -- 25.Feb.2008 5:47:54 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Problems with reinstalling Exchange. - 25.Feb.2008 8:26:16 AM   
Philip

Hey hey,

After reading acouple more posts and tutorials I've managed to find the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396 is the article to follow if you have the same problem. The last step of the article is what fixed it all for me.

Thx for those who read this post and hopefully you will find the KB article as usefull as I did.

Regards
Philip

(in reply to Philip)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems with reinstalling Exchange. - 1.Mar.2008 4:11:02 PM   
farisnt

try to use the command
setup.exe /removeorg

Talk with all .. Learn from All
MCP - VB - A+

(in reply to Philip)
Post #: 3
RE: Problems with reinstalling Exchange. - 1.Mar.2008 10:29:29 PM   
traveltovietnam.cc

i think you removed the first DC, you can take over all roles to install exchange againt

<a href="http://traveltovietnam.cc" title="Vietnam Tour, Vietnam Hotels, Vietnam Apartment, Vietnam Travel">Vietnam Travel</a>

(in reply to farisnt)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Problems with reinstalling Exchange. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter