after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General

bretthancock -> after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 12:53:59 PM)

We have begun a migration today to all private IPs.  We have 2 global catalogs lets call them server A and server B and our exchange server which we'll call Server C.

We migrated Server A and Server B over to their new private IPs of 10.1.1.2 and 10.1.1.3 respectivally.  After we switched the Exchange server over to 10.1.1.4 the Exchange System Attendant service as well as the Information Store service won't start.  It errors out when upon boot after applying computer settings and when logged in just displays as starting.

I checked Event Viewer and I receive Event 2114 errors stating:

Process WMIPRVSE.EXE -EMPEDDING (PID=4084).  Topology Discovery failed, error 0x98007077f

Everything else with the change of IPs seems to have gone just fine except Exchange is really not liking this.  Any help is appreciate I'm officially in panic mode.

a.grogan -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:03:49 PM)

Hiya, try this -

Stop all Exchange Servvices
Then, on each DC (GC) run IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS
Run IPCONFIG /REGSITERDNS on the Exchange Server
RUN NBTSTAT -R (captial R) on the Exchange Server
Then force a Directory Recplication

Try and start the Exchange Services

Cheers

A

bretthancock -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:11:27 PM)

Amateur question I know but how do I force domain replication?

a.grogan -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:14:29 PM)

Not a problem - jump into Active Directory Sites and Services then -

[ Sites -> Default First Name Site -> Servers -> ]

You will see your DC - Expand each DC which will reveal NTDS settings - click on NTDS settings which will change the right hand window to show your servers - right click on each server an select "Replicate Connections"

Cheers

A

bretthancock -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:22:02 PM)

We kind of inherited this network so things aren't quite how they should be.  We have a member server in London as well, so there is a London site and a Seattle site.  The seattle site has server A and server B.  Either way I clicked on replicate now and it looks like it went through ok.

I tried to start System Attendant again and got the same error message and same event ID 2114 in Event Viewer and also receiving event ID 1005.  Things could have been slightly messed up from before and this is just opening pandora's box.

a.grogan -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:24:10 PM)

Ok, when you ping your DC's (using ping -a <IP of DC) what is returned?

Cheers

A

bretthancock -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:27:48 PM)

The correct IP is returned for server A and server B, when I do an nslookup the correct IP is returned as well.  Found something strange.  On the primary DNS server, under Zone Transfers it still had the old IP for the child DNS server in it, corrected that and am rebooting the mail server now to see if it finds the domain.

a.grogan -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:31:48 PM)

Cool, another thing that you can look at - should that not work is:
In the DNS manager when you expand the Forward Look Up zones for your servers - you will see entries like:

_msdcs.<yourdomain>.com - expanding them will reveal other entries like "gc"

You may need to go through all of these and ensure each IP address is as it should be.

Cheers

A

bretthancock -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:44:35 PM)

Kind of strange here.

domainname.com - _msdcs - domains there is a long series of text that says 9f797ee9-a3f6-4529-ac68-b9c896f2dd1a

under gc however i have 3 host records one for the 2 local global catalogs and one for the server in london.  They are Host(A) records and they have the correct IP however there is no record for the Exchange server...should there be?  I can provide a few screen shots if you'd like.

a.grogan -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:50:04 PM)

Hiya, ok, that sounds about right - you would not see the Exchange Server listed here.
Ok, can you open the ESM (you might need to start the Microsoft Exchange Management Service). Then navigate to your server - right click on it and from the context menu that appears choose "properties" - then from the window that appears choose "Directory Access" - is the "Automatically Discover Servers" ticked?
Also is your Exchange Server located in the same site as servers A and B?
Cheers

A

bretthancock -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 1:55:22 PM)

It is indead.  I have 5 domain controllers listed as follows

Server B Config 389
Server B DC      389
Server A  DC    389
Server B  GC    3268
Server A  GC   3268

The Exchange Server is not in Sites and Services, should I add it in there?

a.grogan -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 2:01:53 PM)

Hiya chap the Exchange server would not be in Sites and Services, however in Active Directory Sites and Services - if you expand "Sites" -> Subnets - what do you see?

Do you see a subnet definition? - if so, is it for the old IP subnet?

Cheers

A

bretthancock -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 2:03:13 PM)

It is indeed the old IP subnet.  Should I just create a new one for the correct IP address range?

a.grogan -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 2:04:56 PM)

Hiya Chap, modify the existing and then force a domain replication - then restart the Exchange Services.

Cheers

A

bretthancock -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 2:17:27 PM)

[:)][:)][:)]

Changing the subent in sites and services fixed the problem, everything is back to normal, except one more small issue(that I think I can resolve).  In the Queues now there are 190 messages awaiting directory lookup.  Is this normal for the exchange server being down for about 2 hours.  The queue isn't lowering so I'm a tad worried about this.

With everything being on public/external IPs in the past we are having a few issues with OWA, outside e-mail.  The old public IP that ended in .24 was natted at the router level to foward all requests to .26(which was the IP of the exchange server's nic).  So the Host(A) record on our ISP's DNS is pointing to .24.  On the router we set up a NAT rule to foward any requests from those 2 IPs to 10.1.1.4 the new internal IP.

Again I can probably fix this one and thank you a million times over for your help on this issue.

a.grogan -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 2:24:52 PM)

Hiya mate, glad that we got it sorted, the queues thing is normal - should settle down. If you need anything else let us know.

Cheers

A

bretthancock -> RE: after changing IPs on 2 GCs, Exchange services won't start (8.Mar.2008 2:28:11 PM)

Now it looks like I can't send mail locally.  I tried sending to my coworker and he didn't receive the message, couldn't find it in the queues.  Also tried sending to myself and wasn't able to receive the message either.

***EDIT***

Upon rebooting the "messages awaiting directory lookup" queue is empty but it appears mail going outside the network or into the network is not sending properly.  We can't ping out on the Exchange server so I'm thinking 99% this is a router/policy issue.

Page: [1]