• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever role on Win2k3?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever role on Win2k3? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever role on Win2k3? - 12.Mar.2008 6:50:03 AM   
cyberfriend

Hi there,

I have two servers   Server#1 and Server#2.
    Server#1 has E2k7 installed ( i.e three roles Hub Transport, CAS, and mailbox server).
     Server#2 has Windows server 2003 SP2.

Now I want to remove Mailbox Server role from Server#1 and install
Mailbox server role on Server#2, which nor has Active Directory installed,
nor is the member of my domain fabrikam.com.

Plz specify the steps to first remove Mailbox Role from Server#1
and then install it on my new server Server#2. Do I need to install Active
Directory on Server#2 before installing Mailbox Server Role or just join the Server#2 to the domain fabrikam.com ?

best regard,
Laeeq

< Message edited by cyberfriend -- 14.Mar.2008 2:00:26 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever rolse on Win2k3? - 12.Mar.2008 7:15:25 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

Exchange should be installed on member server.
If you have not created any users. If you have already email address for your user account then need to disconnect it i.e Recipient configuration => Select the mailbox and remove the mailbox (by default you will mailbox for the administrator who have installed this application)

Then you can go to the first server
Add/remove and exchange application and uncheck mailbox server role.

From the powershell : go the location of the DVD path where you have exchange files and type setup.com /mode:uninstall /role:mailbox ( i guess)

Once you have uninstalled then bring your server 2 into the domain as member and install it.

OR another options
Simply join the new server in the domain and install exchange applicaiton, then move the mailbox from server1 to server2 and then uninstall the mailbox server role from the server1

(in reply to cyberfriend)
Post #: 2
RE: Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever rolse on Win2k3? - 13.Mar.2008 1:47:13 AM   
cyberfriend

Hi there,

Thanx Ismail for your reply. I got it what u said and also I have uninstalled mailbox Server role from Server#1.
             Now One thing is confusing me. If I dont install Active Directory on Server#2 then how the Server#1 (which is also the only  DC of my domain) will communicate with Server#2, which will be only the member of domain. So my confusion is "Do we not need to install Active Directory on Server#2 before making it member of the domain and installing Mailbox Server Role. I am new to this AD world and just know few thiings abt it.

best regards,
Laeeq

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever rolse on Win2k3? - 13.Mar.2008 3:42:34 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi friend,

Let me assume a scenario:
My plan is want to install Exchange 2007 server roles in my org.
Resource i have is two computers: Server1 and Server2

First i will build up the Server1...
> Installing OS and sp2
> Given Static Ip Address
> Running DCpromo (to make it as Acitvie Directory)

Now i bought a new hardware (which is going to be my Server2)
> Installed OS and SP2.
> Now after installing the os and sp by default it will be in a workgroup and ip address will assigned by dhcp, so i will change it to static ip address range. and will check the connectivity from server2 to server1. (if it working fine then i will feel that communication part is ok)
> After this i will make it as a part of Active Directory that is i will make this workgroup server as a member server. So inorder to  make it: Right click my computer => Properties => Computer Name => Change => select domain => give your domain name what you kept it while creating Server1.
> Once you restart the computer it will be the member server of your Active Directory.
> As i told earlier : Exchange application is saved in the forest level so just you run setup.exe it will take care of the preparing your schema (fresh installation) or if you already the old one then run setup.exe and it will install the required roles you want by selecting typical mode.

Finally uninstall mailbox server role and other role from Server1

Post #: 4
RE: Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever rolse on Win2k3? - 13.Mar.2008 5:44:46 AM   
cyberfriend

Thanx Ismail bhai for your kind help and detaild reply.

As I mentioned in my previous post that I have already uninstalled Mailbox Server Role from Server#1. Now I have joined my Server#2 to domain "fabrikam.com" . Now I have logged on to fabrikam\Server#2 using administrator account. and trying to install MB Server role. I will post my results here as soon as I get them.

Thanx again Isamil for your time on this thread.

best regards,
Laeeq

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 5
RE: Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever rolse on Win2k3? - 13.Mar.2008 5:55:46 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

gr8 to know that...
best of luck

Post #: 6
RE: Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever rolse on Win2k3? - 14.Mar.2008 1:58:59 AM   
cyberfriend

Hi there,

Thanx again Ismail as I have installed MBx server on Server#2 successfully.It was all easy bcoz of ur detailed reply and MBx server installed easily after joining Server#2 to domain fabrikam.com. Now I have checked my new installation which is running smoothly.

best regards,
Laeeq

Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Installing E2K7 Mailbox srever role on Win2k3? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter