• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Ou... - 19.Mar.2008 7:12:20 AM   
g18c

Hi have recently started getting the following error message when setting up new accounts with Outlook 2007:

The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

This happens on Windows XP Professional and Vista, i cannot setup any accounts for new machines.

Points to note are that OWA works fine, and previous users who are already setup work fine also. It seems to be limited to setting up new Outlook 2007 accounts.

Recently i did add a second mail server to the network but it was not configured to talk to the other main mail server which was handeling all the functions of mail box, CAS, hub transport. I had installed all the same roles on the second server with a view to move it across and retire the old server, the second machine is a different machine name from the main mail server.

I am running exchange 2007 SP1 on Windows 2003 R2 x64.

I am really stuck now and would really appreciate any pointers or steps to debug the above.

Many thanks,

Chris
Post #: 1
RE: The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable... - 19.Mar.2008 7:25:38 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

This is one of tidious job for me, which i hate to see because i am not much expert.
First thing both the exchange servers are online or have u decomissioned the first server.
Try to run Exbpa tool
Try this step (might work)
Shutdown your exchange server and restart all the gC\DC and then start your exchange server (then monitor it)
If it still occur
Clear up the application log on the server
Try to reconfigure outlook profile for one of the test user.

This are the few steps i would try

(in reply to g18c)
Post #: 2
RE: The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable... - 19.Mar.2008 8:26:04 AM   
oademidun

Thanks for your advise
They are both online and source is not decommisoned yet, will run exbpa tool, I have also raised RFC (if approved tonight) to shut down the box tonight and will restart all the DC/DC
Will reply shortly

Many thanks

Olu

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable... - 19.Mar.2008 8:38:07 AM   
g18c

Eeeek did someone hijack my thread? Seems like more than one person has this issue!

For me i uninstalled exchange from the new mail001 server (which i planned to move to), i then rebooted the DC, followed by the mail server (the old server).

Then things started working again. Any reason why this would happen?

Im glad its working but worried since i dont know why it screwed up in the first place!

Many thanks for the reply mate much appreciated.

Chris

(in reply to g18c)
Post #: 4
RE: The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable... - 19.Mar.2008 12:17:15 PM   
jchong

See if this applies; seen it randomly fail when setting up new profiles when this is enabled.

Windows 2003 Scalable Networking pack and its possible effects on Exchange
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/07/18/446400.aspx

James Chong (MVP)
MCITP | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+,
Security+, Project+, ITIL
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to g18c)
Post #: 5
RE: The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable... - 19.Mar.2008 1:29:52 PM   
Elan Shudnow

I had this experience at a client several months ago.  I was working on something else while my client was working on the issue with Outlook saying the connection is not available.  Profile re-creation did not work.  He said that he tried re-installing Outlook and that fixed it for the computers that had the issue.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter