• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Multiple Attachment/Message Size limits

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Message Routing >> Multiple Attachment/Message Size limits Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiple Attachment/Message Size limits - 21.Mar.2008 7:55:32 AM   
nny2k

 

Posts: 3
Joined: 21.Mar.2008
Status: offline
I'll do my best to describe what we're trying to accomplish.

We have a single site, single exchange server 2000.

Currently there are no size limits on attachments/messages.

We'd like to enable a 5mb outbound attachment limit for 98% of the users in the organization. However the remaining 2% would require no outbound limit or perhaps a larger limit of say 25mb.

At the same time internally we do not want a limit between all users.

There are some things we found that will get us most of the way there but nothing so far that will allow us to meet all the desired results.

I hope I described that properly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joe

PS. We're looking to migrate to VMware and Exchange 2007 by Summer time so if there is a concrete way to do this in Exchange 2007 that would make it desirable to wait that is also an option.
Post #: 1
RE: Multiple Attachment/Message Size limits - 21.Mar.2008 9:26:55 AM   
mark@mvps.org

 

Posts: 6811
Joined: 9.Jun.2004
From: Philadelphia PA
Status: offline
It's ok to do in both.
On your 2003 box drill down to Routing Groups and there should be a default one there. Create an SMTP Connector and follow the wizard to create a basic one. Both will have the address space * and both will route email however you're routing them.
Key thing is the delivery restrictions. On one you'll set a limit and on the other you'll probably leave it blank.
On one you'll tell it to reject messages from the 2% and on the other you'll tell it to only accept from the 2%. Since it's such a small number try to put the names in rather than make a group for the 2% and assign perms to the group - you'll find the BPA will like that better and so will your GCs - not that it sounds like you've got too many users.
This affects nothing internally so you're all set there on whatever defaults you have.

_____________________________

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to nny2k)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiple Attachment/Message Size limits - 21.Mar.2008 9:36:39 AM   
nny2k

 

Posts: 3
Joined: 21.Mar.2008
Status: offline
That sounds so simple I can't believe we didn't think of it!

Thanks so much, we're scheduling that change and will test it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Joe

(in reply to nny2k)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiple Attachment/Message Size limits - 25.Mar.2008 9:38:26 AM   
nny2k

 

Posts: 3
Joined: 21.Mar.2008
Status: offline
So we made the change last evening and tested sending with an account that should be blocked from sending over the desired limit.

It took 10 minutes for the NDR to arrive. This morning with more testing we've sent more messages and have been waiting over an hour for the NDR.

Is there any way to speed this up based on our settings?

Thanks so much!

(in reply to nny2k)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiple Attachment/Message Size limits - 4.Sep.2008 2:31:02 PM   
KJF

 

Posts: 1
Joined: 4.Sep.2008
Status: offline
Hopefully, this isn't too dead of a thread to resurrect, but I've been researching this same situation for Exchange 2007. Can this same solution been done with multiple send connectors on 2007? I'm a little vague on the specifics of this, being pretty new to Exchange. At least one person I described this to seemed to think it might be more complicated than it was worth, but I like the idea....


KJF

(in reply to nny2k)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Message Routing >> Multiple Attachment/Message Size limits Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts


Follow TechGenix on Twitter