can use different domain in same email server? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General

examplez -> can use different domain in same email server? (26.Mar.2008 6:55:02 AM)

Hello,
I am using exchange 2003 server and working well,now i would like to add another domain in this exchange.actually i want 2 email domain.already registerd that new domain also.so that how can i configure same email server with different domain names.pls kindly guide and help me. thanks in advance.

regards,
examplez

gpo -> RE: can use different domain in same email server? (26.Mar.2008 7:49:38 AM)

Let's start with E-mail
For E-mail, the first thing you need to do is make sure your Internet domain's MX records are pointing to your SBS server's IP address, feel free to use backup a MX record, or even dynamic dns (I do!), depending on your own situation.

For the first email domain, follow the normal SBS wizards (Primarily CEICW) to configure your first and primary domain that you will want to use. Congratulations, your first domain is configured! :)

Adding additional domains to Exchange
To do this, we're going to edit the default recipient policy:
  1. From Server Management, expand Advanced Management, First Organization, Recipients and select Recipient Policies
  2. Right-click on the Default Policy and choose Properties
  3. On the E-Mail Address (Policy) tab, click the New button
  4. Select SMTP Address from the list and click OK
  5. Type in the name of the domain in the format @domain.com and choose OK. Leave the check box checked
  6. Check the box next to your new domain in the Default Domain Properties window, and click OK

Now that you've added this into the policy, Exchange will become aware of this domain and start responding to mail from it. This change will take effect the next time Exchange updates its policies, let's not wait that long.
  1. Select the Recipient Update Service from the console
  2. Right-click on both policies on the right and choose Update Now

This forces Exchange to update the policies now, so you don't have to wait.

You will now be able to notice all of your users have an 3 email addresses:
  • user@domain.local - added by SBS for your internal domain. It's suggested you keep this email address for this user as it is used by some SBS tools
  • user@domain1.com - this is the first domain you added using CEICW
  • user@domain2.com - this is the second domain you just added

That's as far as I went, since I wanted all my users to receive email from both domains, but what if you don't want this?

Micro-manage!

To micromanage which users have which email addresses simply:
  1. Change to the Users' snap-in and right-click on a user
  2. On the E-mail Addresses snap-in, uncheck the box at the bottom that says Automatically update e-mail addresses based on receipient policy
  3. Remove any email address you don't want the user to receive email at and add any additional email addresses in your configured domains. Don't forget to keep the domain.local e-mail address!
  4. Set the primary one to be the email address the user will send email as

There you have it, if your domain MX records are configured correctly, the SBS box will receive e-mail for both domains!

examplez -> RE: can use different domain in same email server? (26.Mar.2008 9:12:03 AM)

such a wonderful help and thank you so much gpo.i will try it!

examplez -> RE: can use different domain in same email server? (26.Mar.2008 11:45:51 PM)

Hi,
thank for helping and now I can send out to external email from new domain account. but can't receive from externet email. what's wrong with it? it is bcos of the MX record wrong in DNS server? also need to create New forward lookup zone for new domain in DNS server? or need to create POP3 virtual server under Exchange System Manager > Servers > Mail > Protocols > POP3? pls help me along.

thanks.

gpo -> RE: can use different domain in same email server? (27.Mar.2008 7:37:08 AM)

What I did to my setup was to create POP3 virtual server under Exchange System Manager.
InPOP3 connector manger

sabel9579 -> RE: can use different domain in same email server? (27.Mar.2008 1:36:34 PM)

do you have MX records for your new domain pointing to your mail server?

examplez -> RE: can use different domain in same email server? (27.Mar.2008 8:56:42 PM)

thanks all, so no need to create the POP3 virtual server under Exchange System Manager .i really dont know much this cos i am just beginner with Exchange.

so i must have the MX record for new domain in my DNS right?

ok let me explain detail first... I had 1 exchange and 1 DNS .let say the domain is domainA.com. this is working well now and from the outlook i use the SMTP and POP3 as mail.domainA.com.

Now, I got the another new domain as domainB.com and i must have the mx record for new domain in my DNS like mail.domainB.com , right? and then what server shoud i use for the SMPT and POP3 server with domainB.com user account? can i use previous server mail.domainA.com or mail.domainB.com ? thanks in advance..

regards,

t0ta11ed -> RE: can use different domain in same email server? (27.Mar.2008 11:24:41 PM)

Could you clarify if this is your internal or external DNS you're doing this on? 

examplez -> RE: can use different domain in same email server? (28.Mar.2008 4:36:20 AM)

It is external DNS, public IP. thanks

t0ta11ed -> RE: can use different domain in same email server? (28.Mar.2008 11:32:22 AM)

In that case, you should have an MX record for the new mail domain, and an A record for it pointing to the IP of the mail server. If you are not recieving outside mail, this could be a propagation issue assuming you have the records entered correctly. Since you aren't actually telling us what the mail domains are, I can't view those records myself. 

Page: [1]