• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

list of DNS black lists in GFI

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Server Security >> list of DNS black lists in GFI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
list of DNS black lists in GFI - 27.Mar.2008 1:29:01 PM   
dongoran

Hy to all. Thanks for all grate posts on MSExchanege forum. I have one question.

Where can i found lists of all DNS Black List providers?

I want to include those addresses in my GFI Mail Essential, under tub DNS Black LIST. For now i have only 6 sites.

list.dsbl.org
xlb.spamhouse.org
ect...
Post #: 1
RE: list of DNS black lists in GFI - 27.Mar.2008 1:58:49 PM   
slindley

If you run your e-mail IP using this website, it will give you a list http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx, but I would be careful about using all of them.  We use just the 6 listed in GFI and that seems to work ok.  We also do Reverse DNS lookup to make sure the e-mail is coming from the correct e-mail server.  If you choose to use more DNS black list servers, then I would avoid any that start with FIVE.  They have use listed and they won't respond to our requests to remove us.  They state that we don't have a pointer record, but we do.  No other lists report us, just the FIVE ones.  I did some research and a ton of other people are having the same problems, so if you use them, you'll be blocking legitimate e-mail.  We also experienced and issue with another black list (we weren't posted, but we were using it to block e-mail).  After some research it turned out that GFI had a post to stop using them, but we only found out after we blocked legitimate e-mail.

I'd suggest staying with the 6 lists that GFI uses, but tightening up some of the other rules and maybe use the Intelligent Message Filtering for Exchange as well.  That's what we use. We've been battling spam for quite a while and have finally found a good balance.  Some still gets through, but unless we want to block legitimate e-mail, we have to deal with it (we tried that, but one the CEO or President doesn't get 1 e-mail that they should, you'll be changing it back!)

Hope this helps,

------------------------------------

Steve Lindley
MCSA:Messaging, MCDST, Net+, CCNA

(in reply to dongoran)
Post #: 2
RE: list of DNS black lists in GFI - 31.Mar.2008 12:27:03 PM   
dongoran

Thanks slindley. I figure that relays.ordb.org reports a lot of legitimate e-mails as SPAM. I had to disable relays.ordb.org DNSBL list (http://kbase.gfi.com/showarticle.asp?id=KBID002925 ).

I will test Intelligent Message Filtering for Exchange version 2 in few days in my test environments. For now,  I didn't fight with this issues.

I test my server on http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx and only 2 servers report that my mail server is open relay. (http://www.uceprotect.net/ ). Argumentation for this issues refers to problem with my ISP. Nothing serious.

(in reply to slindley)
Post #: 3
RE: list of DNS black lists in GFI - 28.Sep.2010 12:40:34 AM   
Seidlm

I made a list with actual DNSBL and URIBL Providers.
www.techguy.at/2010/09/27/dnsbl-und-uribl-server-im-test/

(in reply to dongoran)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Server Security >> list of DNS black lists in GFI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter