• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

No Front End Server??????

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> No Front End Server?????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No Front End Server?????? - 21.Apr.2008 10:26:13 PM   
Spootnicks

Folks - I am currently reviewing the setup of the organization I work for. 

They presently have one Exchange server.  I noticed that the Exchange server isn't set to be a front-end server..............The Q's I have is............How is this possible?  Isn't there suppose to be an Exchange Front-End server within every Exchange environment? 

Post #: 1
RE: No Front End Server?????? - 22.Apr.2008 10:04:32 AM   
de.blackman

absolutely NOT! An exchange front-end server is used in the case you have multiple exchange mailbox (back-end) servers and your users require OWA or RPC/HTTP access to their mailboxes split across these back-end servers. In order to allow users to access the mailbox servers, you need to publish the mailbox server to the internet. Having multiple back-end servers means you have to publish each and every server to the internet OR use a front-end. The front-end will be the first point of contact that users will connect to so in reality you are only publishing one server. The front-end uses internal processes and queries to active directory to locate the mailbox of the user and it will automatically proxy the client's request to the respective mailbox server.

Hope that clarifies things.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Spootnicks)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> No Front End Server?????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter