• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Commit Trans Logs to Database Manually

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Migration >> Commit Trans Logs to Database Manually Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Commit Trans Logs to Database Manually - 25.Apr.2008 7:32:53 AM   
CapnDoody

Hi,

During our migration processes from GroupWise to Exchange using the Quest migration tool, we noticed last night during a migration of one of our biggest mailboxes (which we wanted to get out of the way early), it made the transaction logs get extremely large and fill up the drive in which the logs are being currently stored.  I was wondering if there is a PowerShell script that i can run to commit the transaction logs to the database, and flush the logs... or should i just not waste my time and move the log files to a larger disk...
Post #: 1
RE: Commit Trans Logs to Database Manually - 25.Apr.2008 8:58:36 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You misunderstand the logs you're looking at.
Transactions are committed to the database. Those logs are there in case you need to restore a previous backup and commit the transactions in the logs to that old database to bring it up to date.
If you want to get rid of those log files you need do nothing more than back the database up normally.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to CapnDoody)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Migration >> Commit Trans Logs to Database Manually Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter